Open brain bleaching??? pic attached

First off, yes I know we have cyno - we are battling it!

I have had this brain for about three weeks now. Could you please tell me if the colour change pointed out is new growth or has it started to bleach out? I know that some brains don't have sweeper tenticles, and so far this guy does not. I have fed him some brine shrimp, cyclopeeze etc. and he just started accepting it (he has three mouths and would close up when ever I attempted). The last time I fed him the three mouths enlarged so they stuck out about 1/2 and then opened up. My clowns have decided to host him (regardless of our attempts to "move" then somewhere else). The brain closes really tight at night, but that is also when the mouths open. Anyhow....that is just a bit of background info.

Oh, and one more thing. I was told this was a "rose" brain - how big will he get ( I know how big other brains get, but I wasn't sure if this type is different)

And you have to excuse my arrow - I did it by hand :smirk:

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a25/fishfriend/000_0614.jpg

lcstorc

Nice pic. Wish I knew anything about brains to help with the question.
What kind of lights do you have and what kind of lights did it come from?

We use T5's 50/50. Lighting it came from......can't remember. I remember looking at them and I am not sure if it was pure T5's or combo, but I do know that it wasn't too bright because it was a newer shipment and he was trying to aclimate them.

We also noted that it seems to be lifting a folding at the front which you can't see unless you look straight on (not noticable in pic) - wonder if that is how it makes it's folds? Of course, I have no idea and that is my shot in the dark :bugout:

Tuna

you need a power compact or MH to support a brain coral and they should feed themselves through lighting and filterfeeding. I personally cant tell whats going on in that picture. but get a better light and dont mess with him,you should be ok

Um...from what I have read up on these guys.....you must feed them to ensure their longevity. I spent hours reading through WWM and other pages, where it states the same. And T5's, though they are not as strong as MH, are better than PC lighting (IMO). It may very well be trying to adjust to the lighting, but I don't think it is a lack of, but who knows.

XBwlr

I've had my brain for about a year... I think.

RV_August.JPG

Anyways... I don't feed it all the time. Maybe once a month. I've read that you don't have to feed them, but you can if you want too. It's cool to watch them eat.

Mine bleached to a real pale pink once... I thought it was a goner. You could see the skeleton through the skin.
The temp in the tank got too hot last summer, low 90's IIRC... almost had "Reef Stew". But, I got the temp under control and left everything alone... the only thing I lost was two peppermint shrimps.

These tentacles show up at night or when I feed the tank... from what I've read it's just a response from the food being near the brain.

Oh... I have MH. (2) 175w 10K Hamiltons on a 48" 75 gallon tank.

Tuna

same here my brain is doing fantastic i feed all corals using rotifers,and havnt had a problem.
heres a pic but its too bright and you cant see it. Shame cause it has some awesome colors

i cant seem to figure this camera out lol

Attachments

• DSC00333 (Small).JPG
    DSC00333 (Small).JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 47

aquaman3680

I have my brain on a rock it is about the size of a larg fist and it actually does better because my sifter will dump sand on it. The t-5s should be fine better than PCs try putting it on the rocks or feeding it i feed that and the bubble 2 times a week.

jimeluiz

In the past when our brains were unhappy they retracted to almost no volume over the rigid skeleton. Staying 'un-inflated" was a sign of unhappiness. With that logic yours looks very happy and I would venture a guess that the lighter color tissue you are seeing is GROWTH, not bleaching.

But then, I am no expert...

It looks beautiful. I would not be too worried.

How does it like being on the rock though. I was to scared to move it higher to rock (to see if my clowns would not like it up highter :thumbup: ).

aquaman3680

It actually was dying on the sand and i moved it onto the rocks and it loved it. The skeleton is maybe and inch by an inch and it expands to 5 inched by like 4 inches so alot of extension. I glued the base to a bigger rock because it was hard to place.

Tuna

Timmy's Marine said:
How does it like being on the rock though. I was to scared to move it higher to rock (to see if my clowns would not like it up highter :thumbup: ).

it loves it up there :) ive had it higher in the tank before and no probs but it filled this new spot just right and i havent messed with it yet. At night it closes up but opens different to reveal a bunch of tenticles. I cant wait to find another!