nusance caulerpa

dltt

Hi all, I have a question about grape caulerpa. I currently have a 10g nano with an aqua clear 110 doing double duty as diy mechanical filtration and refugium. I have about 2 lbs of lr in the refugium and cheato, the cheato is coming on like gang busters. My sg is 1.026, ph 8.4, nitrites 0ppm, ammonia 0 ppm, nitrates, 0 ppm, dKH 179, calcium 520 ppm, and phosphates 0 ppm. I was doing a 1 gallon water change per day until I did this DIY refugium with the aqua clear 110 last week. I did daily nitrate monitoring for 7 days so I could get a handle on the nitrates and never went above 0ppm, so now doing a weekly 30% w.c (yesterday was the first in this regimen). My problem is the grape caulerpa, I am trying to starve it out with the cheato but seem to be growing both very well. The caulerpa is in the display and it is in the begginning stages of being a nusance. I manually tried to remove as much as I could today but that is very tough stuff to try to scrape of off the irregular surface of rock. Help, anyone have advice? Thanks in advance!

Luukosian

I have been fighting it forever, once that stuff gets hold its pretty hard to get rid of it. LOT of manual removal. I have a fuge, phosphate removal and carbon...also 0ppm out of the ro/di and it still manages to grow pretty quick. Removing all I can every day seems to get rid of most of it then it just seems to come back after a while....sorry for kind of a non-answer but thats just my experience with it.

dltt

Thanks....it isnt really a non answer. Just wandering if I was going to be plagued with this stuff forever, and it kind of sounds that way. Maybe I need a 10 gallon display and 90 gallon refugium to try to transport out whatever is making this stuff grow...lol.

seafansar

If you can borrow a sea urchin, it will take care of your problem pretty quickly. They are masters at eating algae, but they will push over things not glued down and some will collect things on their back.

dltt

Thank you Seafansar, I was not aware sea urchins were caulerpa coinisuers! I have so much to learn!