Nuisance Algae Guide, A work in progress

BigJay

I bought a small zoo colony that brought in every nuisance species in this thread except for dino's and the cyano of course.. even got two species of calaurpa. There was zero presence of the algae when i put the colony in the tank.
I never quarantined corals before but I'd give anything to do this one over. Fighting off bryopsis is the worst.
I would like to add that my ceriths snails hatched thousands of babies, those babies totally wiped out the hair algae from the tank.

johnmaloney

oh cool, good to hear it got taken care of, sorry it happened. Hard to tell sometimes, frags are often manually cleaned before sale, so you never know what is about to grow back.

johnmaloney

No problem! I hope it helps you out.

I should say up there ^ that the frag/coral was probably cleaned of algae by the diver/wholesaler etc...not the particular retailer or the person you got it from. Happens to everyone, algae grows around the base of coral, especially short annoying wirey reds. :) Zoas are great for hiding algae in between the polyps. Great at it.

reefnewb

I'm having trouble with red slime algae. it's taking over what little sand bed is left in my tank! I hard about the alkalinity problem and water flow problem and fixed both of those issues. I added another fan and got my calcium and alkalinity in order but I am still having all sorts of issues with it. I heard that temp bounces and salinity bounces might affect it as well? is that ture?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Rhodes19

I'm having trouble with red slime algae. it's taking over what little sand bed is left in my tank! I hard about the alkalinity problem and water flow problem and fixed both of those issues. I added another fan and got my calcium and alkalinity in order but I am still having all sorts of issues with it. I heard that temp bounces and salinity bounces might affect it as well? is that ture?

Hi reefnewb and :welcomera to RS. That's a good question. I'd like to here what folks have to say about it.

John, this is a great thread. Thanks.