HELP! Not super urgent, but kinda. Food question.

Wet Nerd

I have a 6 inch dragon face pipefish in my 29 gallon biocube. I added 8 oz (maybe 16?) of tisbe copepods one week ago. When do i add again? I really like the little guy and don't want him to starve.

p.s i feed my 5 fish a half cube of mysis a day, pipefish doesn't really care for it

DaveK

Ideally pipefish should have a constant supply of food. If you can't supply pods, you can use newly hatched brine shrimp, but it's a big job to always be hatching them out. One of out members, Paul B has built an automatic brine shrimp feeder. You might check out his tank thread - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/tank-turned-44-this-year.32411/

It's a long thread but a good read. A word of caution, Paul has one fantastic tank. Don't let that intimidate you as far as the hobby goes.

Wet Nerd

Ideally pipefish should have a constant supply of food. If you can't supply pods, you can use newly hatched brine shrimp, but it's a big job to always be hatching them out. One of out members, Paul B has built an automatic brine shrimp feeder. You might check out his tank thread - http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?threads/tank-turned-44-this-year.32411/

It's a long thread but a good read. A word of caution, Paul has one fantastic tank. Don't let that intimidate you as far as the hobby goes.
Thank you :)
Also, props to not going "no, pipefish need a 75 gallon tank."
These guys are tiny at full size!!!

DaveK

The reason you see large tanks recommended for fish like pipefish is that that is about the minimum size you need for the tank to produce enough pods to feed a single fish. As you can see they don't move around too much, so they don't need too much in the way of swimming room.

If you can provide the feeding requirements, a smaller tank will work, but this can be a lot of work or cost a lot.

asuncionmj

I'm by no means an expert, but I have a mandarin goby that recently made me get into copepod growing. I highly recommend getting a small tank or something and growing your own. It's not very difficult nor expensive and will save you a lot in the long run. I put some in every other week and the mandarin is quite satisfied.

SubRosa

You put the cart before the horse. Buying packages of live pods to feed your Pipefish is going to get expensive. Had you introduced a single package into a suitable system a couple months prior to putting in the fish that eats them, you likely would never have to buy another.......

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
asuncionmj

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics