NOPOX Dosing

Discussion in 'Red Sea' started by eric w, Oct 7, 2013.

1. eric w

eric w Active Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Hi,

I just ordered your nopox product....currently i have nitrates at 25 ppm phosphate at 0.4 ppm....im running gfo currently and also run purigen....i have a rsm250 with 65lbs of rock...and like an inch sandbed. how much should i start with for a dose....also when should i take the gfo offline...lastly do i need to dose anything else...i saw some posts about reef energy or something..thanks

2. eric w

eric w Active Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    so i also got the reef energy....how much of the nopox and parts a &b should i start off with? Thanks

3. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Hi Eric, I have replied to your PM with regards to the No3Po4-X dosing as you have 25ppm No3 the recommended dose is 3ml per 25gal/100 litres you'll need to remove your purigen as synthetic absorbers can break down the composition of No3Po4-X so its use is not recommended.

4. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Sorry Eric, hit enter too soon :doh: dosing Reef Energy is also based on No3 content, 1ppm No3 and above dose at a rate of 2ml per 25 gal/100 litres of each A & B for fully stocked system, low nutrient systems or where the No3 is lower than 0.75ppm increase the dosage to 4ml of each A & B remember the skimmer needs to go off for 30 minutes at least after dosing

5. eric w

eric w Active Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Hey Kevin.. Thanks so I'm dosing 6ml a day of nopox based on my no3 being 25ppm.. And I'm doing 2ml a day of both a and b.. My nitrates are at 0.06... So should I be doing 4ml of each a and b.. If you can get back to me so I can adjust it would be appreciated. Thanks

6. eric w

eric w Active Member

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    By the way I only have a Duncan, plating monti, and a toadstool.. The monti is a little white all over.. Think it is stressed.. I took out my purigen and I'm still running the gfo... I cut my flow to the gfo by like 25%

7. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Sorry Eric, a little confused by your No3 result 25pp ? 0.06ppm ??? was this your Po4 ?? if your No3 is at 25ppm you should dose 3ml per 100 litres/25 gallons per day

8. bridge75

bridge75 New Member

I've been dosing this in my tank as well over the last 2 weeks. My nitrates started off at 40 and my phosphates were still high. After a week it with great pleasure to report my nitrates at 0, but my phosphates are still high. How much longer should I dose my tank in order to get my phosphates down now that I have no nitrates? I just bought rowaphos to take care of the phosphates but I was hoping I wouldn't have to since the product states it eliminates both nitrates and phosphates

9. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Hi Bridge, Glad to hear you like the No3Po4-X however, zero No3 is not good, can suggest you reduce your No3Po4-X by at least 50%

Po4 reduction will take a little longer to establish, this is a biological process and not an absorber, adjust your skimmer to skim wet, zero No3 will in fact slow Po4 export so it is important to get some No3 back in your system.

You state your Po4 is high ?? what are the results please ? also the color of the skimate is a good indication as to what is happening in your system, what color is your skimate currently ??

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  10. bridge75

bridge75 New Member

my phosphate is testing way above 2.0 The color of my skim mate is very dark brown. almost like motor oil

11. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Hi Bridge, Your Po4 level is very high, it will take some time to reduce this level, if possible make your skimate wetter increase the height of the air water interface in your skimmer this will help with the export of Po4 it is still early days yet for the development of PHB cultures in your system so skimmer performance is important.

12. Raymongo84

Raymongo84 New Member

Hey I just bought the nopox and my nitrates are at 40 ppm n phosphates are 0.04 how much should I dose I am also using chemi pure blue and it's a 55 gallon tank with hang on the back skimmer no sump live sand and live rock and have star polyps. mushrooms .. hammer coral how much should I dose of the nopox and reef energy A and b

13. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Hi Raymongo84, I see this is your very first post here at Reef Sanctuary so a very warm :welcomera

A couple of things i'd like to go over first regarding your No3Po4-X dosing, ion exchange type filter media's like Chemi Pure Blue are not recommend whilst dosing No3Po4-X as they can effect the performance of the No3Po4-X, standard good quality activated carbon like Red Sea's if fine.

Skimmer performance is critical when dosing No3Po4-X, we recommend a water to air ration of 3:1 and ideally a system volume turnover through the skimmer of 3 timer an hour, if your skimmer is up to this spec and you have good flow turnover in your system you can start with a dosage of 3ml per 25 gallons, if there is any question of your skimmer not meeting the recommend spec then I would recommend starting your No3Po4-X dosage at 1ml per 25 gallons.

System volume calculations are very important when starting dosing of No3Po4-X and as the No3 starts to reduce and you start getting below 10ppm the quality of your No3 test kit becomes critical, we recommend using our No3 Pro test kit as it is possible to measure extremely low levels of No3 accurately which is essential when dosing No3Po4-X.

One last thing, your Po4 is already quite low in relation to your No3, if you are using a Po4 remover check out our conversion file here http://www.redseafish.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/NPX-convertion.pdf

14. goma

goma Well-Known Member
    RS STAFF PREMIUM

Reef Chronicle:
    Yup
    Welcome to RS Ramongo84!!

Welcome to RS! Start a tank thread so we can follow your journey!! :swmfish:

15. Raymongo84

Raymongo84 New Member

I'll try to get one of those test kits but red seas test kits are alot

16. Raymongo84

Raymongo84 New Member

O and when you mean 3 ml per 25 gallons I have a 55 gallon tank so I would have to dose 6 ml a day?

17. RedSeaKev

RedSeaKev RS Sponsor

Hi Raymongo84, yes 6ml will be fine, its better to under dose No3Po4-X than over dose.

18. Keshan Abeyewardene

Keshan Abeyewardene New Member

Hi
    My nitrates are at 35ppm and phosphates are at 0.10

How long will it take for me to get my phosphates and nitrates down

19. Uncle99

Uncle99 Well-Known Member

The 6ml dose sounds about right to start, then after a month, did it drop.
    If not increase 1 ml per week until you see a drop then hold.
    Make changes with NoPox real slow, your messing with your bacteria which is OK if you go slow.

Your looking to find that sweet spot whereas you can maintain a low nitrate level with the min of dose. For me, that spot is 2-5ppm nitrate and 0.03-0.07 phosphate.

It took me 5-6 months to bring nitrates down to 5ppm from 50ppm, I dose 10ml per day, 1 ml an hour through the day when PH is on the higher end, on a 65g and have been doing so for more than two years now.

NoPox does not do much for Phosphate, use and LC to go from .4 to .1, then a GFO to go from .1 to 0.03-0.07

nanoreefing4fun likes this.