Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

OSG.jpg My Orange Spotted Goby 'disappeared' a few weeks ago. I have no idea what happened to him. So, last Saturday I popped a replacement OSG into the tank. Four days later, I find him on top of the mesh net.

Last edited:

SPR

View attachment 50272 My Orange Spotted Goby 'disappeared' a few weeks ago. I have no idea what happened to him. So, last Saturday I popped a replacement OSG into the tank. Four days later, I find him on top of the mesh net.
Have you ever watched those things swim their like bullets. I had same thing, the cover was off for a few minutes and one of two added must have shot up and out. I found it on the floor a week or so later

Nobbygas

Are you still using your brine shrimp thing?

And also can you recommend any ‘ointment’ ?!
Yep. Still use the JBL Artimeo hatchery. I feed the tank two or three times a week with them. It has not been cast aside to take up space in the celler. It is so easy to use.

Um....err....what is this 'ointment' for?.

SPR

Um....err....what is this 'ointment' for?.

My sore arse! Lol

I went out for the first time on my new chariot a few days ago, twice infact, and OMG the seat! I had to change it to a normal unisex wider seat and it’s so much better

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...lookin-relaxed-unisex-bike-saddle-133424.html

I can’t believe the difference it’s made!

I’ll make you laugh, I was going up a really steep hill panting and spluttering and I could hear some bikers coming up fast behind so tried to look cool and breath normally whilst going very slow.... This women and man went wizzing by up hill and I’m like what the...... Then she turned round laughing and said, don’t worry these are part electric bikes! Lol. Tell you what, you could cover miles on those, although it’s not the same,

Last edited:

Nobbygas

You need to not only have padded shorts, but also padded pants as well. It provides double the protection. You will also learn the more you ride to spot those nasty bumps so you can raise your arse up from the seat as you go over them.I
Remember, pain is just weakness leaving the body or
A little bit of pain never hurt anyone.

It's the next time you go riding and you actually start to cry when you see a bump coming up that you can't avoid.

E-bikes are for old people.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

You need to not only have padded shorts, but also padded pants as well. It provides double the protection. You will also learn the more you ride to spot those nasty bumps so you can raise your arse up from the seat as you go over them.I
Remember, pain is just weakness leaving the body or
A little bit of pain never hurt anyone.

It's the next time you go riding and you actually start to cry when you see a bump coming up that you can't avoid.

E-bikes are for old people.
Lol!

Well I wear pants under the cycle shorts (hygiene!) but didn’t think of padded pants. Aren’t they for like, well, if your in continent or something?!

Nobbygas

Lol!

Well I wear pants under the cycle shorts (hygiene!) but didn’t think of padded pants. Aren’t they for like, well, if your in continent or something?!
No. You can get cycling pants that are padded.

I added two OSG's today. I hope that at least one will not jump through the mesh.

Nobbygas

The Leopard Wrasse saga. This has now been ongoing for a month. She stays in the sand for days on end, and when she does venture out it's only for ten minutes or so. Obviously there may be times she comes out but I can't watch the tank all day. Yesterday was better. She was out for about three hours. She is very nervous, especially of the other fish. She tends to stay up in one corner of the tank and doesn't swim around very much. I was target feeding her to ensure she got some food.
My main worry is that this seems to be a repeat of what happened with the female trigger. The problem is obviously not White Spot or Brook. When looking at her there doesn't appear to be any problems so I can only assume the problem is internal. In the past whenever I have attempted to treat a fish in a hospital tank it has never ended successfully, so I am loathe to try that. I will just continue to feed her whenever she appears and hope that she regains her strength, but it is odd.

SPR

The Leopard Wrasse saga. This has now been ongoing for a month. She stays in the sand for days on end, and when she does venture out it's only for ten minutes or so. Obviously there may be times she comes out but I can't watch the tank all day. Yesterday was better. She was out for about three hours. She is very nervous, especially of the other fish. She tends to stay up in one corner of the tank and doesn't swim around very much. I was target feeding her to ensure she got some food.
My main worry is that this seems to be a repeat of what happened with the female trigger. The problem is obviously not White Spot or Brook. When looking at her there doesn't appear to be any problems so I can only assume the problem is internal. In the past whenever I have attempted to treat a fish in a hospital tank it has never ended successfully, so I am loathe to try that. I will just continue to feed her whenever she appears and hope that she regains her strength, but it is odd.
Problem is you have no way of telling really if it’s internal for example, then you’ve got to catch them.....

To be quiet honest, whenever I’ve had a fish issue, they either survive or disappear/die and I’ve never even had chance to try and treat them and if I tried I think I would probably do more harm than good.

I’m talking here primary about new additions, if it was a long term fish I would do what I thought would help if you see what I mean.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Problem is you have no way of telling really if it’s internal for example, then you’ve got to catch them.....

To be quiet honest, whenever I’ve had a fish issue, they either survive or disappear/die and I’ve never even had chance to try and treat them and if I tried I think I would probably do more harm than good.

I’m talking here primary about new additions, if it was a long term fish I would do what I thought would help if you see what I mean.
She has been in the tank for just over two years. Like you, in the past I have tried using a make-shift hospital tank, but it has always ended in failure, so I'm not that keen to try it again.

Nobbygas

In other news......

The Splendid Dottyback has to go. He's a beautiful fish, but far too aggressive for the tank. The bigger fish Tangs, Wrasse etc seem to be able to handle him, but he's a bully towards the Anthias, Gobies, Grammas etc, the more peaceful fish.

So, I set up the fish trap and added a mirror to the outside of the tank on the back of the trap. This was to entice the bully in. Low and behold, after about two hours, my nine year old son trapped him ! He just happened to be walking past the tank and noticed the Dottyback was in the trap attacking himself in the mirror. I had instructed him on how to lower the door on the trap previously, which he did!
I have been in contact with a LFS and I'm prepared to give him away for free, and they'll accept him. If they can earn a bit of money selling him on, then it's good for them. I'd rather do that than flush him down the loo !

Yet another lesson learnt. Semi-aggressive they said. More like Rambo on speed !

Nobbygas

I'm getting bored. I've started to fiddle.
I completed the flush through of the Chiller. Not a lot of gunk came out, but the throughput has increased.
Today I added another two litres of Seachem Matrix, giving me four litres in total. I want to stop using NOPOX if I can, so with the Matrix I'm increasing the Nitrate removal, and relying on Rhowaphos in a reactor to control the Phos. Let's see how that goes.
I'm cleaning the back wall once a week. Because it is done frequently it only takes a couple of minutes. If I leave it for a month then I usually have to put a lot of effort in to scrape off the stuff. One of the two Orange Spotted Gobies has survived. The other one was killed by the Dottyback before I got rid of him. He is doing a terrific job of cleaning the sand.
The Leopard Wrasse has been missing for the last week (again).

SPR

I'm getting bored. I've started to fiddle.
I completed the flush through of the Chiller. Not a lot of gunk came out, but the throughput has increased.
Today I added another two litres of Seachem Matrix, giving me four litres in total. I want to stop using NOPOX if I can, so with the Matrix I'm increasing the Nitrate removal, and relying on Rhowaphos in a reactor to control the Phos. Let's see how that goes.
I'm cleaning the back wall once a week. Because it is done frequently it only takes a couple of minutes. If I leave it for a month then I usually have to put a lot of effort in to scrape off the stuff. One of the two Orange Spotted Gobies has survived. The other one was killed by the Dottyback before I got rid of him. He is doing a terrific job of cleaning the sand.
The Leopard Wrasse has been missing for the last week (again).
Clean the rear circulation pumps that will keep you busy! Lol

Your correct on the back wall, it only takes a moment if you keep it ok, even in my new pico tank

I would just put as much Matrix in the sump as you can fit. I think around 10 litres ish.

Nobbygas

I cleaned the rear circulation pumps recently.
However, I am on the lookout for a Female Blue Throated Trigger, and a Male/Female pair of Leopard Wrasse.

How is your arse?

(Now, there is a line that I'd never have thought I would write in my wildest dreams/nightmares).

SPR

I cleaned the rear circulation pumps recently.
However, I am on the lookout for a Female Blue Throated Trigger, and a Male/Female pair of Leopard Wrasse.

How is your arse?

(Now, there is a line that I'd never have thought I would write in my wildest dreams/nightmares).
It’s marvellous the unisex seat for large arses works a treat, no discomfort at all! Lol

I’m just waiting for the LFS’s to open fully again and get proper stock before I buy anything

Nobbygas

Well, it is a strange world populated by strange people, like She Who Casts No Shadow.

She suggested yesterday that I get a different tank! Apparently, she would like the tank to be in a different place in the living room, and she even suggested I get a Peninsular Tank, so it could be used a as a sort of divider. So that has got me thinking. A Red Sea 650 Peninsular plus 4 x ReefLed90 lights, a hanging pendant, and two Wavemakers will probably cost 5,000 euros. Time it right and I could get 20% off, so that's 4,000 euros. The question then is how much I could sell the existing S650 for? Maybe 3,000 euro?
I personally think the 650 Peninsular would be a slight downgrade on the S-650, but at the same time an upgrade, if that makes sense. The new location would enable me to have a direct outlet to the outside for the chiller instead of having it vent into the room as it will be on an outside wall. Although the HD26 lights are fine I think the Red Sea Reef LED 90's would be an upgrade. The newer Sump also offers more possibilities. The downside is that the RO Reservoir is smaller, which will need topping up more. It will need some form of Wavemaker(s) which means having them on the glass with a cable, something the S-650 doesn't have, so the look may not be so clean. With the S-650 I also like the small pelmet around the top. There is also no Manifold with the Peninsular, so no means to feed anything unless I modify it. Another thing against the P650 is the lack of a power centre, which I actually think is a fantastic addition on the S-650. Lot's to think about.

SPR

Well, it is a strange world populated by strange people, like She Who Casts No Shadow.

She suggested yesterday that I get a different tank! Apparently, she would like the tank to be in a different place in the living room, and she even suggested I get a Peninsular Tank, so it could be used a as a sort of divider. So that has got me thinking. A Red Sea 650 Peninsular plus 4 x ReefLed90 lights, a hanging pendant, and two Wavemakers will probably cost 5,000 euros. Time it right and I could get 20% off, so that's 4,000 euros. The question then is how much I could sell the existing S650 for? Maybe 3,000 euro?
I personally think the 650 Peninsular would be a slight downgrade on the S-650, but at the same time an upgrade, if that makes sense. The new location would enable me to have a direct outlet to the outside for the chiller instead of having it vent into the room as it will be on an outside wall. Although the HD26 lights are fine I think the Red Sea Reef LED 90's would be an upgrade. The newer Sump also offers more possibilities. The downside is that the RO Reservoir is smaller, which will need topping up more. It will need some form of Wavemaker(s) which means having them on the glass with a cable, something the S-650 doesn't have, so the look may not be so clean. With the S-650 I also like the small pelmet around the top. There is also no Manifold with the Peninsular, so no means to feed anything unless I modify it. Another thing against the P650 is the lack of a power centre, which I actually think is a fantastic addition on the S-650. Lot's to think about.
Even more to think about, is why don’t you get one custom built to the exact size and specifications you want? Maybe bigger, or longer or deeper?

All you do is provide the builder with the dimensions and basic spec and they design it for you and then you can tweak things, it’s very simple although appears daunting at first

My new system is far better quality and sturdier than any Red Sea system so as long as you get a builder on recommendation or something you can have everything built to were you need it, glass spec, stand etc., rather than off the peg

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Even more to think about, is why don’t you get one custom built to the exact size and specifications you want? Maybe bigger, or longer or deeper?

All you do is provide the builder with the dimensions and basic spec and they design it for you and then you can tweak things, it’s very simple although appears daunting at first

My new system is far better quality and sturdier than any Red Sea system so as long as you get a builder on recommendation or something you can have everything built to were you need it, glass spec, stand etc., rather than off the peg
I will do some enquiries for a custom build. Mainly because I am not that convinced about the stands for the P650 (or Reefers). I am happy with the aluminium stand on the S-650 though.

SPR

I will do some enquiries for a custom build. Mainly because I am not that convinced about the stands for the P650 (or Reefers). I am happy with the aluminium stand on the S-650 though.
I think you’ll be quiet surprised about custom build when you look into it because you can design it exactly how you want it, and I didn’t find it expensive at all. I agree completely on the stands there’s no way I would want to be fiddling under that weight with something built from a kitchen cabinet!

I’m actually considering a new sump for the S650 as I would really like to put in an X Filter. It would just be much easier to start from scratch rather than trying to work with what’s there now. I actually think a new sump would only cost a few 100 as it’s just a glass box basically.

I might get a quote of my builders for it and take it from there.