Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Ha,ha......I can get 20% off of the Ecotech Vectra L2. All I have to do is wait until Jan 20th when the LFS has a discount day. That should save about 104 euro.
While I was there I got another Royal Gramma and a pair of Manderins. Also topped up the CUC with more snails. Throw in 5 packets of frozen food and there was 160 euro gone from my account!

Pancho75

Ha,ha......I can get 20% off of the Ecotech Vectra L2. All I have to do is wait until Jan 20th when the LFS has a discount day. That should save about 104 euro.
While I was there I got another Royal Gramma and a pair of Manderins. Also topped up the CUC with more snails. Throw in 5 packets of frozen food and there was 160 euro gone from my account!
Sweet ! ! !
How are the mandarins doing?

Nobbygas

I've done it. Yes, I really have. I've cleaned the four rear circulation pumps. So, after tidying everything up I sit down and crack a beer. Time to just watch the tank for a few minutes. Time to enjoy the fish. Time to enjoy the corals. Time to enjoy that puddle forming on the floor in front of the chiller compartment door. Time to........WTF a puddle!
Down I leap, and my first thought is that it is a leak from one on the doser containers, but after sniffing the liquid and tasting it on the tip of my tongue, it was saltwater. It had to be coming from the Chiller, so I switched it off and disconnected the feed pump and tube. At this point She Who Casts No Shadow started on me, which always makes my ears bleed and my blood pressure to rise. Basically she hates the tank but cannot find any of her friends to back her up as they all say how beautiful the tank is. In total I doubt more than one litre of water ended up on the floor, but even one litre can look bad. I removed the chiller completely and tomorrow I'll run it in a sort of standalone mode so I can see where it is leaking. At this point the main suspect is the water outlet connection. I suspect the O rings need replacing. I have had the chiller for 2.5 years.

Pancho75

Now you made me nervous as I don’t have a back up plan in case of leak, as this is your fault I would appreciate if you send me two Neptune leak detectors to MX....

Nobbygas

OK, so I suspect it is the rubber ring seal so I've ordered some replacements. I will test it before connecting the Chiller back up with the tank. They should arrive pretty quickly.

Nobbygas

Amazing for this time of year. The replacement rubber seals I ordered yesterday morning arrived this morning! I've now set up the chiller in the cellar to run, and so far no leaks. Looks like the job is a good one! I'll let it run for a few hours before re-installing it into the tank system.

Pancho75

Amazing for this time of year. The replacement rubber seals I ordered yesterday morning arrived this morning! I've now set up the chiller in the cellar to run, and so far no leaks. Looks like the job is a good one! I'll let it run for a few hours before re-installing it into the tank system.
Wow, that was quick, extra Xmas gift.

Nobbygas

Bbbrrrrrrrr bloody freezing! I'm back in work today, and there is snow on the ground! I just want to go home and jump in the tank with my playmates!

Anyway, after exhaustive testing, my Chiller is ready to be re-installed when I get home.
The new Royal Gramma has settled in well and is now out and about and feeding well.
I see the two Mandarins occasionally and they appear to be fine. They tend to stay deep in the rockwork hunting out the Copepods. I had to buy them as a pair and they do appear to move around as a pair.
I just have to wait until Jan 20th to order the Ecotech Vectra L2, but what I do need right now is a new Doser. I have a Jebao DP-6 doser, but three of the motors have packed up. Buy cheap, buy twice eh? I was hoping by now that Red Sea would have their new doser available as I like the promised function of being able to enter the amount of liquid in the doser container, and then having the doser inform you when it is reaching the end. That way you can dose directly from the Red Sea bottles and you don't need to keep shaking them to guess how much is left inside ! However, it seems impossible to get a release date from Red Sea and my patience is wearing thin.
I'm still breeding the baby Brine Shrimp as the fish really seem to like them. They are also beneficial for the Mandarins so I'm feeding the tank with them four times a week (one harvest is enough for two days).

Pancho75

You might want to check the Neptune DOS-DDR system if you really want to have auto alerts when the additives are running low. The downside is of course the price.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I'm planning to go the DOS route myself and i hear you on Red Sea, i wish they would give out dates and such. i was going to buy their system but "early next year" doesn't work for me......to the competitor i went!

Nobbygas

You might want to check the Neptune DOS-DDR system if you really want to have auto alerts when the additives are running low. The downside is of course the price.
If the Red Sea doser does the same job, then it'll be a lot cheaper, especially as I need a new doser.

Nobbygas

Which fish is the bastard (excuse my French) of your tank?
I have to nominate my Pastel Green Wrasse. He has grown to be one of the biggest fish in the tank, and he is a confirmed Snail Hunter. If the snails are either on the glass or on the rocks, they're pretty safe. However, if they decide to make that journey from one to the other across the sand, then the Pastel Green Wrasse strikes. He basically picks them up in his mouth and knocks them over, exposing the underneath. He will then pick at the snail and eat it ! I have empty snail shells everywhere. I bought another five last week just to top up the CUC and I can already see that three of those are no longer here ! The fish are well-fed, as the Pastel Green Wrasse is actually a fat porker, but that doesn't stop him.