Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

So, I'm on the next step of my Brine Shrimp breeding programme. I've had three successful harvests so far, so now I want to see if I can grow the shrimp so they are a little bit bigger.
The instructions say not to feed them until day three. Up to that point they get their food from their egg sacs. Today is day three with the latest batch. I have bought some Artemio Food which I will feed them with tonight. The plan is to leave them for another three or four days to see if I can make out any visible growth.
I have read that it can take eight weeks to grow the shrimp to adult size, but I don't want, or need them to get to that stage.

SPR

So, I'm on the next step of my Brine Shrimp breeding programme. I've had three successful harvests so far, so now I want to see if I can grow the shrimp so they are a little bit bigger.
The instructions say not to feed them until day three. Up to that point they get their food from their egg sacs. Today is day three with the latest batch. I have bought some Artemio Food which I will feed them with tonight. The plan is to leave them for another three or four days to see if I can make out any visible growth.
I have read that it can take eight weeks to grow the shrimp to adult size, but I don't want, or need them to get to that stage.
Pictures then when they start growing old chap!

SPR

Even the LED light review hardly raised a pulse! Well maybe mine.... infact I’ll go and watch it again!! Lol

Nobbygas

Mmmmm. I checked the shrimp last night and it looks as though they are all dead. Yes folks, I am now up there with Pol Pot and Vlad the Impaler as a mass murderer.
I'm not sure why. Maybe after hatching I should remove them and put them into another container with fresh saltwater?

I shall start another batch tomorrow, and this time I will feed most to the tank after hatching, but some I will place in another plastic tupperware type container to see if I can grow them on a bit.

SPR

Mmmmm. I checked the shrimp last night and it looks as though they are all dead. Yes folks, I am now up there with Pol Pot and Vlad the Impaler as a mass murderer.
I'm not sure why. Maybe after hatching I should remove them and put them into another container with fresh saltwater?

I shall start another batch tomorrow, and this time I will feed most to the tank after hatching, but some I will place in another plastic tupperware type container to see if I can grow them on a bit.
Maybe they need different conditions when they’ve hatched

Nobbygas

Crack on then ‘bubba’! Lol

https://www.brineshrimpdirect.com/a...tions/what-guidelines-culturing-brine-shrimp/

Do you think you will keep hatching them or do you think it will end up next to the pasta making machine ?
I shall continue with this. It's really easy and doesn't take up any time. A small bag of live copepods/worms/brine shrimp etc from the LFS costs about 1.50. This is way way cheaper. At room temperature you get a harvest of live food after 24hrs !

Nobbygas

It happened.

I shut off all my pumps today for a bit of cleaning and mushroom zapping with the new Death Juice......and one of the rear circulation pumps didn't restart. I gave it a few shakes in situ, but that didn't start it, so I had to take it out.........and bloody hell, it was caked in gunk and stuff. I'm surprised any water was actually passing through it! I've left it soaking in a vinegar solution and tomorrow morning I'll put it back in again.

I still have never cleaned the rear down valve thingy. I'm waiting for Shaun to do it first so he can tell me what to avoid and how not to flood the floor.

SPR

It happened.

I shut off all my pumps today for a bit of cleaning and mushroom zapping with the new Death Juice......and one of the rear circulation pumps didn't restart. I gave it a few shakes in situ, but that didn't start it, so I had to take it out.........and bloody hell, it was caked in gunk and stuff. I'm surprised any water was actually passing through it! I've left it soaking in a vinegar solution and tomorrow morning I'll put it back in again.

I still have never cleaned the rear down valve thingy. I'm waiting for Shaun to do it first so he can tell me what to avoid and how not to flood the floor.
Lol!

‘I’ve told you before I’d sooner buy a new tank than clean that valve!

And I still keep looking and thinking how much easier it would be with an MP40 at each end......

Nobbygas

Lol!

‘I’ve told you before I’d sooner buy a new tank than clean that valve!

And I still keep looking and thinking how much easier it would be with an MP40 at each end......
Not on the S-650. After a while even the MP40's would look gunky and need cleaning.....and the cables? Before I had the S-650 I had a 100l tank. It was really just a normal rectangular aquarium, no sump. I had stuff hanging in that tank from everywhere! Powerheads, surface skimmer, feeder, heater, Tunze ATO. It was real Heath Robinson stuff. I once even had an external filter connected. It was a right mess. The S-650 is so clean in comparison.

Nobbygas

SPR

When you go through the build wizard on the website, it becomes expensive. Just over 6k for the tank, four lights, four mounting arms, skimmer and two wavemakers. As we know there is then still a lot of stuff to get. It also still has the plywood stand.

Now, if they made a bigger S-Series tank...........
I wouldn't buy anything of that size with a wooden stand (that sort of wood anyway) and clamber around under it, no way.

Last edited:

Nobbygas

It does appear that Red Sea have marketed and pushed the Reefer Series while forgetting about the S-Series and the things that make the S-Series the flagship, like the aluminium stand and braced tank.