Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Today I received my results from my first ever Triton ICP water test. I was eager to see what was actually happening with the water, as in the last week I've had three frags die, and another two are really struggling. I test for all the usual stuff, like Calc, Mag, KH, Phosphate, Salinity, Nitrate, and these are all on target.

Looking at the results, there is only one area of concern, in that I have some Tin (Sn) in the water. I think this must be the result of the recent poor RO water I was producing. I can reduce this with some water changes. The only other 'red mark' was that Bromine was a bit low.....never heard of it before :)

In some ways I hope that the Tin is causing the problems with the Corals, as I know I can fix this really easily. If it's not the Tin, then I can only assume the light is too strong and I need to ramp it down a bit.

I'm really impressed with the level of detail in the test results, which includes full information on how to correct any slight discrepancies. It was also very quick, as I posted the samples off last Thursday, and I got the results today (Tuesday).

deansmarine

I've nearly finished the build. Here are a few pics of the progress.. The last photo is a piece about 36cm x 24cm. It's the same material as in the sump lining........but I've no idea where it goes ! Any ideas?
if your still having trouble finding were that piece goes its the bottom of the power draw

SPR

Thanks Dean, but yeah, I found where it goes. I'm not sure what it actually does though :)

I think the intention of it is probably to protect the plug sockets from any water splashes. That's all I can think of anyway, but if that gets wet you've probably got more to worry about than being electricuted!

Did you put the skimmer were the c Skim went? I just wondered if it might be better/easier to reach in the left hand side sump but not sure if it makes any difference to flow or performance. I'm going to leave it for the time being I think.

I've just updated my build thread but the stuff it's pulling out is very nasty blackish so I think it's starting to bite. Very happy with it and the silence... I've also lubbed it up with some silicone grease around the joining part so very slick now indeed.

Nobbygas

Yeah, I've put it where the old one went. I do think the NYOS improves the flow in the Sump, as the old C-Skim just returned water to the downflow section. With the NYOS I have noticed more water movement in the main Sump area. I know this sounds not right, but it is what I can see.
I need to produce more a of wet skim. Not sure how to go about this yet. I assume I just increase the water flow by turning the big knob to the left (Open)?

SPR

Yeah, I've put it where the old one went. I do think the NYOS improves the flow in the Sump, as the old C-Skim just returned water to the downflow section. With the NYOS I have noticed more water movement in the main Sump area. I know this sounds not right, but it is what I can see.
I need to produce more a of wet skim. Not sure how to go about this yet. I assume I just increase the water flow by turning the big knob to the left (Open)?

If you want wetter skim you raise the water level in the skimmer by Closing either the main 'big knob' or Closing the fine tune knob. I assume this makes the water flowing out slower so it raises the water level inside the skimmer. To go dryer skim you 'Open' either Knob depending on how much adjustment is needed and this allows water to flow out of the skimmer faster so the water level drops so less water near the bayonet/cup so goes dryer.

What i found is that initially it does what it likes until its bedded in so you just have to adjust as required for the run in period.

That's how ive found it works so far for me.

mr_tap_water

Also to wet skin The more you open up the air valve which will make bigger bubbles which causes it to have a wetter skim The more you close the air valve The bubbles becomes smaller which causes a dryer skim. Along with adjusting the height up or down which helps Control the flow it fills the cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPR

Also to wet skin The more you open up the air valve which will make bigger bubbles which causes it to have a wetter skim The more you close the air valve The bubbles becomes smaller which causes a dryer skim. Along with adjusting the height up or down which helps Control the flow it fills the cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks that's helpful as well - I'm running with full air open which is probably why its blackish but still wet - have you got the NYOS as well ?

Last edited:

Nobbygas

I'm off on holiday at the end of this month. My Mother-In-Law will be around to feed the fish, so that's sorted. However, I can't expect her to do anything else. So my plan is to buy a large water container (100 litres+) for the ATO. I already have a Tunze Ozmolator that I can use. If the container is say 120 litres, with the 38 liters in the normal ATO, that should be enough (roughly 10 liters per day). I will also remove the socks from the sump. OK, so that's no mechanical filtration for two weeks, but that shouldn't be a problem. The Skimmer has a line that empties into a jug, so she will be able to easily lift the jug out and give it a swill in the sink.....and I think (hoping) that that will be enough........

.............but I'm nervous.

SPR

I'm off on holiday at the end of this month. My Mother-In-Law will be around to feed the fish, so that's sorted. However, I can't expect her to do anything else. So my plan is to buy a large water container (100 litres+) for the ATO. I already have a Tunze Ozmolator that I can use. If the container is say 120 litres, with the 38 liters in the normal ATO, that should be enough (roughly 10 liters per day). I will also remove the socks from the sump. OK, so that's no mechanical filtration for two weeks, but that shouldn't be a problem. The Skimmer has a line that empties into a jug, so she will be able to easily lift the jug out and give it a swill in the sink.....and I think (hoping) that that will be enough........

.............but I'm nervous.

That's a good idea Nobby with the ATO and Tunze. Did you come up with that idea all by yourself!? Lol

My elderly parents (dont tell them I called them that!!) can change the filter socks as I taught them how to do it and it's fairly easy and takes seconds. I use the mesh ones and have around 8 pairs ready and a bucket for new and old outside. Told them just to change every 4-5 days and they did it fine.

I purchased a wifi camera (Canary) and have it set up pointing at the tank so in the event of any issue I can see what's happening in both the tank and sump if necessary.

I was away in Antigua end of January for 2 weeks and I made sure I didn't touch the tank or alter anything the week/10 days before I went away. I didn't fiddle with the down pipe, skimmer etc etc, so just left it.

I also now have a spare Red Sea Main pump so in the event of anything like that it's a straight swap over. Unscrew and screw new one back on so even my parents can manage that if need be.

I was very nervous. Normally my phone is off completely for these 2 weeks but with this sort of commitment I had to leave it on but that's the modern world we live in these days.

What sort of skim jug have you got and is it inside the sump ?

Can you post a picture of your sump if you get chance? Wouldn't mind seeing it. I like sumps....

Nobbygas

I'll take some photos later today.
My old Mum-In-Law can't do any of that. However, I now have the telephone number of a guy who knows what he is doing. I got it from the LFS. I shall ring him, and get him to visit before we go on holiday, so that in the event of an emergency, the Mum-In-Law can call him in.
In the meantime I've actually removed the socks from the sump, just to get an idea if any changes are required to the downflow valve and to see if it makes any difference to the skimmer over a few days.
I've read about your ATO, but mine will just be a plastic container sat on the floor in front of the tank. Nothing fancy, nor neat!
My skim jug is just a normal one-liter kitchen measuring jug. I will get a jug with a lid on it at some point, as this will reduce any nasty pongs. Yep, it hangs on the inside of the sump, so if it overfills it just goes back into the sump. It's better in there than on the hardwood floor :yup:

After the holiday I'm thinking of replacing the Return Pump. It seems as though the M1 Vectra is the way to go. It's the noise issue again. I find the Circulation Pumps are fine, but the Return Pump is not the quietest. On the odd occasion I turn off the Return Pump, I find that the overall noise produced is what I want it to be.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

It's funny you know because the simplest ideas are the best. Like my plastic box, and your jug with a handle on. I bet it's just hooked onto the side of the glass sump with its handle, inside isn't it?

Don't laugh but I've been thinking of all sorts of alternatives to my milk carton, fancy stands all sorts and how to hang them in the sump. I've had flower jars, fancy jars all sorts sitting in the left side of sump etc.

Jug with a handle hooked on.... with a lid...

Nobbygas

This show my current kitchen jug in place. It's sat inside the sump, so if it overflows it's not a problem. Pretty easy to lift out and clean. I want a square one though, with a lid :)
jug1.jpg
This shows my UV in place with the Fluidized Reactor (Rowophos) on the left. The 'brick' in the sump is the Marine Pure block. I haven't trimmed off the plastic ties holding the UV yet!
jug2.jpg
This is the UV showing more detail. I have a Bungee Strip that goes via the two holes between the sump chamber and the chiller chamber. The ends of the bungee connect to two plastic ties. This is more than strong enough to hold up the UV unit. Both the inlet and outlet connectors are over the sump, so any leakage/drips/accidents then the water will just fall into the sump.
jug3.jpg
Full Sump shot!
jug4.jpg

SPR

Thanks for that. Always interesting to see other ways of doing things with similar systems etc.

Have you got a bag of Purigen in with the carbon? I only ask because I put the 100g in yesterday and it looks exactly the same

Nobbygas

Thanks for that. Always interesting to see other ways of doing things with similar systems etc.

Have you got a bag of Purigen in with the carbon? I only ask because I put the 100g in yesterday and it looks exactly the same

No. I did have some Sera Silicate Remover in there but the Triton test recommended I reduce it, so I took it out.

SPR

Hi Nobbygas

How is the NYOS and also did you get the Teco?

I'm still looking and infact I've just taken both my 200w heaters out so I can use them for water changes and am setting up 4 30 litre buckets with heaters and mixing pumps. 4 is aprox total volume of my sump when completely drained. I haven't bothered much with this before as did smaller changes and sat water next to AGA overnight.

I've purchased a single Eheim 250w heater but I haven't put it in yet. The tank runs at around 26-26.7c without any input from the heaters so I'm going to keep an eye on it, and will add the heater back in towards end of summer. It just seems more of a failure hazard being in and off all the time.

But I'm still looking at the Teco 500/1000 as well and if temps rise I'll just get one on next day delivery.

Nobbygas

The NYOS is great. Very quiet and pulling out some real gunk.
It's too early yet to worry about a Chiller. The ambient temp in our house is about 20 degrees and I have one 300w Eheim heater in the sump. As I previously had a small saltwater tank, and before that a freshwater tank, I've accumulated a few spare heaters.....not sure why!
I am ready for my holiday. I bought a plastic 140 litre container for the ATO, so that is tested and ready.
I also have my first snail eggs so the water quality must be ok.

SPR

The NYOS is great. Very quiet and pulling out some real gunk.
It's too early yet to worry about a Chiller. The ambient temp in our house is about 20 degrees and I have one 300w Eheim heater in the sump. As I previously had a small saltwater tank, and before that a freshwater tank, I've accumulated a few spare heaters.....not sure why!
I am ready for my holiday. I bought a plastic 140 litre container for the ATO, so that is tested and ready.
I also have my first snail eggs so the water quality must be ok.

Glad to hear your good to go.

Are the snail eggs the little white things that crawl up the glass at night/morning I have 1000's ? I thought they were amphipods or something?

Nobbygas

Glad to hear your good to go.

Are the snail eggs the little white things that crawl up the glass at night/morning I have 1000's ? I thought they were amphipods or something?
When you look at the eggs with a magnifying glass they are palm tree shaped, but the 'palm' is made up of hundreds of tiny round eggs.