Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

Meanwhile......

I got fed-up with taking the combs out to clean them. I'm taking about the seven 'combs' where the water runs through into the rear chamber. You either have to turn off the main Return pump to lower the water level (to stop fish escaping) or find something to block the gap while they are cleaning in a vinegar solution. So I bought a replacement set. Once I'd found some online I was surprised that they only cost about 6 English Pounds for the set! Now it's easy to just take out the dirty ones and replace with some spanking clean ones, and I can leave the dirty to soak until they are really clean!
I have also ordered a replacement set of the water outlet nozzles (water into the rear chamber). I find these get covered in Coraline and need a really good long soak. A replacement set cost about 15 English Pounds. In overall cost it was all quite cheap and certainly saves a lot of faffing around when it comes to cleaning.

Nobbygas

61555411_10219075633151553_2188720307613728768_n.jpg

rustyreefer

Meanwhile......

I got fed-up with taking the combs out to clean them. I'm taking about the seven 'combs' where the water runs through into the rear chamber. You either have to turn off the main Return pump to lower the water level (to stop fish escaping) or find something to block the gap while they are cleaning in a vinegar solution. So I bought a replacement set. Once I'd found some online I was surprised that they only cost about 6 English Pounds for the set! Now it's easy to just take out the dirty ones and replace with some spanking clean ones, and I can leave the dirty to soak until they are really clean!
I have also ordered a replacement set of the water outlet nozzles (water into the rear chamber). I find these get covered in Coraline and need a really good long soak. A replacement set cost about 15 English Pounds. In overall cost it was all quite cheap and certainly saves a lot of faffing around when it comes to cleaning.
That’s a great idea! It’s always nice to have a spare too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Pumps....Let's talk pumps.
Now, the weather has perked up here and it's nudging 33 degrees, so the Chiller has started to kick in. However, I did notice that it wasn't performing properly. So, I had a dig around, glanced at the instructions (as you do) and I figured the problem was with the water supply. I have a Teco 1000 Chiller, and the instructions say that it needs between 500 and 800 litres per hour going through it. I had an Eheim 1000 pump to feed it (the '1000' denotes 1000 litres per hour pump). Last year it worked without any problems. So I had to check the water flow.........how to do this eh? Easy, just get a one litre plastic measuring cup and see how long the water flow takes to fill it up! It took 10 seconds. So it's easy to work out that I was only getting six litres per minute which equates to 360 litres per hour, which is below the minimum requirement. Obviously the 'Head Pressure' or the amount of resistance to the water flow as it gets pumped up/over/down/through the Chiller/back up/along then down and out was too much for the 1000 pump. I did take the pump out and tested it, and at full pace it did indeed pump out 1000 litres per hour, but it was no longer man enough to do the job. The drop-off in performance was drastic !
I replaced it with another Eheim. I like Eheim pumps as they are small, quiet and pretty cheap compared to others. I got the Eheim CompactON 2100, which is rated between 1,400 lph and 2,100 lph. At first glance you'd think those numbers were way to high for my needs (500 to 800 lph). However, the head pressure can have a drastic effect on performance. I have the switch on the pump set at halfway, so it should pump out about 1,700 lph, but the reality is that it is only pumping 700 lph, but that is sufficient for the Chillers needs, which is now performing correctly again.

In conclusion, it is quite shocking how drastic the pump performance is when you actually take the time to measure the flow. I know my measuring method is not entirely 100%, but it's a good indicator. The pump manufacturers make claims about their pumps, which are correct, but once you add some resistance or pipe distance, those published figures drop dramatically. Our S-650's come with a return Pump that claims to pump 7,000 lph, but what is the reality when it has to push the water up and into the DT? So, be aware, that the performance of any pump could be cut to 20% or 30% of the published figures due to pipe length, pipe turns, height etc.

SPR

Meanwhile......

For some reason I haven't been getting alerts (I thought you were quiet!) so were did you order these from ?

I tried to get some from Red Sea and got know where ?

Nobbygas

I got them from this site. They are the official Red Sea Shop for Germany, Austria (and somewhere else!). Here are the round water outlet thingys https://redsea-shop.de/Red-Sea-Ersa...-Max-S-Serie-Sieb-AnsaugA%B6ffnung::6549.html

Here are the combs https://redsea-shop.de/Red-Sea-Ersa...henabschAumerkamm-7-StAOEck-im-Set::6529.html

Te site is only in German, so if you need any help, just ask! "In den Warenkorb' is the shopping basket. I don't know what the postage is to Blighty, but it shouldn't be much.

On the top right is 'Suche' (search) and if you put in 'max s' loads of stuff comes up.

Nobbygas

For some reason I haven't been getting alerts (I thought you were quiet!) so were did you order these from ?

I tried to get some from Red Sea and got know where ?
This is an area that Red Sea really do need to improve. Getting spare parts is not easy. I recently removed a circulation pump for cleaning, and I got a bit heavy handed removing the bit that screws into the top of the circulation pump (where the green tube connects) and it sheared off! All I want is to buy a replacement part, and it has so far taken weeks. I have been given a Spare Part Number by one Red Sea contact, who assures me the number is correct, yet when I try to order that part they say it doesn't exists ! I want to give Red Sea some money, but it seems as though they don't want it. I now have bought an Eheim connector which I'm hoping will fit, but I'd rather have the original part.

SPR

This is an area that Red Sea really do need to improve. Getting spare parts is not easy. I recently removed a circulation pump for cleaning, and I got a bit heavy handed removing the bit that screws into the top of the circulation pump (where the green tube connects) and it sheared off! All I want is to buy a replacement part, and it has so far taken weeks. I have been given a Spare Part Number by one Red Sea contact, who assures me the number is correct, yet when I try to order that part they say it doesn't exists ! I want to give Red Sea some money, but it seems as though they don't want it. I now have bought an Eheim connector which I'm hoping will fit, but I'd rather have the original part.
This is the problem I had with the combs. I had the parts number from Kevin and Red Sea just ran round in circles and couldn't find anything, or couldn't be bothered until i gave up.

Apparently the only place that sells them (that i can see) is the site you mention, but they don't seem to have a contact section so i can ask 'wat iz zee postage to ze england' and there is no option for England. I nearly just paid with paypal to see what happened!

Nobbygas

This is the problem I had with the combs. I had the parts number from Kevin and Red Sea just ran round in circles and couldn't find anything, or couldn't be bothered until i gave up.

Apparently the only place that sells them (that i can see) is the site you mention, but they don't seem to have a contact section so i can ask 'wat iz zee postage to ze england' and there is no option for England. I nearly just paid with paypal to see what happened!
If you wish I can order whatever you want and then just send it on? There is no real weight with the items so it should'nt cost much.

SPR

If you wish I can order whatever you want and then just send it on? There is no real weight with the items so it should'nt cost much.
If you don’t mind yes that would be very kind, just a set of the overflow combs

Just let me know how much so your not out of pocket with postage etc., and I’ll get payment to you somehow by bank transfer, PayPal or something and can PM you etc with details. I’m away for a week from Saturday so no immediate rush but just let me know details etc

Nobbygas

I bought my months supply of frozen food yesterday. This month the boys & girls will be eating Lobster Eggs, Mysis, Plankton, Krill and a Spirulina Mix. I normally add a sheet of dried seaweed (or whatever it is) once a week, plus a live bag of Californian Black Worms once a week. They last up to 10 days in the fridge, so this may not always be regular, but I try. I normally feed five cubes a frozen a day.
I must say, feeding fish has come on a long way since the days of adding a few pinches of dried flake!

SPR

I bought my months supply of frozen food yesterday. This month the boys & girls will be eating Lobster Eggs, Mysis, Plankton, Krill and a Spirulina Mix. I normally add a sheet of dried seaweed (or whatever it is) once a week, plus a live bag of Californian Black Worms once a week. They last up to 10 days in the fridge, so this may not always be regular, but I try. I normally feed five cubes a frozen a day.
I must say, feeding fish has come on a long way since the days of adding a few pinches of dried flake!
I use the 250g gamma frozen large packets as they are loads better value than the 100g ive always used in the cube form.

I smashed them up with a hammer, mixed about 3 different types together and put them in an old 2 litre tub of Seachem Matrix and just keep it in the freezer and pull out a view pieces every day. I then also feed mixed pellets of Ocean Nutrition 1 and 2 in the evenings from the Apex auto feeder.

But yes feeding has come a long way these days.

Nobbygas

I use the 250g gamma frozen large packets as they are loads better value than the 100g ive always used in the cube form.

I smashed them up with a hammer, mixed about 3 different types together and put them in an old 2 litre tub of Seachem Matrix and just keep it in the freezer and pull out a view pieces every day. I then also feed mixed pellets of Ocean Nutrition 1 and 2 in the evenings from the Apex auto feeder.

But yes feeding has come a long way these days.
I also get a lot of ear bleeds from She Who Casts No Shadow about keeping the fish food in the freezer, and the Reef Energy A+B in the fridge. Christ knows how loud she'd get if she knew I used the tea strainer to put the Blackworms into the tank.