Nobby's S-650

Nobbygas

I will leave the tank alone for a few weeks just to keep an eye on the other fish, but I am trying to remain positive. After scanning countless articles and forums I can only conclude that the Yellow Tang had some form of internal tumor(s).
I always wanted two Yellow Tangs, but was apprehensive about adding another one, as the resident would probably have got aggressive with the newbie. So, this gives me the opportunity to add two at the same time, which should result in no aggression from either. I was also on the verge of buying an Acanthurus japonicus, or also known as the Powder Brown Tang. So, my thinking goes that if I add all three at the same time, it may not cause any problems with the existing two tangs, a Tomini and a Regal.
Of course, what I think and what happens in reality are probably two completely different things !

Pancho75

I am sorry for the tang, it was a long shot I think. Your idea about introducing several tangs at once I think is better rather than going one by one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SPR

The yellow Tang is one of my favourite fish, and mine is a beautiful specimen.

I wish I had a few, and if I got some more I would add at least 2, and maybe three small ones.

You have less fish than me so maybe get a few of them

@mr_tap_water had a quiet a few in his tank at one point (were have you gone by the way??)

Nobbygas

I will look to add two Yellow's, and as I said before, a Brown Powder Tang.
The Yellow's have shot up in price though. They used to be about 50 euros each, now they are about 90 euros each. I assume this is the result of various restrictions placed on fish being exported from Hawaii?

I'm keeping a very close eye on all the other fish though, just to check that whatever ailed the Yellow is not affecting anyone else. At the moment, all the other fish appear to be healthy, touch wood (taps self gently on the head).

I'm getting bored with water testing. It seems as though I have the dosing set at the correct levels. There is very little movement of the figures produced by the testing. Mag, Cal, Alk, Phos & Nitrates results barely move. My last ICP test was on the 13th June so I won't submit another one for another month or so. I am finding that I am doing fewer tests than before.

It's been a record summer here. There has been 92 days so far where the temperature has been 25+ degrees, with a high of 40 degrees! So glad I bought the Chiller :)

Oh, and the D&D Coral Lens has arrived for my phone, so expect some top quality shots of the fish and corals.........or in reality expect some rather mediocre shots of some blurred fish and some coloured blobs.

Nobbygas

Anyone know what is going on here? It's a Red Hystrix and what seems to be happening is that there are small white blobs, which appear to be coming from within the coral. They look like little bits of cotton wool. They tend to 'shake' around for a while, before detaching. Some hours there is nothing there, and the next these blobs appear again. My experience of coral spawning is that it's something that usually happens at night. It is only happening on this piece of coral.
Any ideas?

Coral3.jpg

Reactions: SPR

SPR

I'm getting bored with water testing. It seems as though I have the dosing set at the correct levels. There is very little movement of the figures produced by the testing. Mag, Cal, Alk, Phos & Nitrates results barely move. My last ICP test was on the 13th June so I won't submit another one for another month or so. I am finding that I am doing fewer tests than before.
I feel the same, but I still do weekly tests for Alkalinity, calcium without fail (normally) as I feel if I start to let things go, something could go out of line very quickly, and that would be my fear.

I hardly test phosphate anymore (one a month), simply because I change the rhowaphos every 3-4 weeks and if the reading was high then I wouldn’t do anything but change the rhowaphos and I do it anyway

I test Magnesium every few weeks as it’s always been high

I usually do a nitrate weekly because I’m trying to get it down.

But I appreciate what your saying as the tank matures and the dosing is correctly balanced. I’ve left mine for 2 weeks without touching anything and it’s still been stable.

I’m at one with the system and I can tell if anything is odd or off balance

Nobbygas

I went to stock up on food for the fish yesterday. Got the usual mix of frozen Mysis, Artemis, Krill, Plankton etc. I also got a couple of bags of live Copepods to help keep the population going for the Mandarin.
But, I also bought something I've never bought before and that was a bag of live black worms. I am interested to see the reaction of the fish to the live worms. I won't be able to feed them to the tank today as I am scheduled to have one or two beers on my way home from work, and that usually ends in a rather messy way !
I will feed them tomorrow and provide a full report.

Nobbygas

Well, I opened the bag of live Black Worms and poured them into a strainer from the kitchen (Don't tell the wife!). I don't like pouring the water that came with them into the tank. With the worms in the strainer, I then emptied it into the DT.......and the fish loved it ! I think it does them good sometimes to have to actively catch their food. Live food must surely be healthier for them as well.
It's something I will do again.

Nobbygas

I think I have hit my stocking level. Currently the tank holds 29 fish :-

4 x Blue Chromis
5 x Lyretail Anthias
1 x Regal Tang
1 x Tomini Tang
1 x Brown Powder Tang
2 x Yellow Tang
1 x Coral Beauty
1 x Dwarf Flame Angel
1 x Orange Spotted Goby
1 x Cleaner Wrasse
1 x Melanurus Wrasse
1 x Banana Wrasse
1 x Tamarin Wrasse
1 x Leopard Wrasse
1 x Silver Bellied Wrasse
2 x Clowns
1 x Orchid Dottyback
1 x Mandarin
2 x Blue Throated Trigger

However, if something turns up that I really really must have..........

For corals I will add more Ricordia and Zoas, plus I want to try some Gorgonia somewhere. I'll also have one last attempt with an Anenome.

Pancho75

Wow, nice fishes @Nobbygas!! I see several fishes I would like to have like the Blue Throated Trigger and the Tomini Tang.

How are these many tangs and wrasses are doing together?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobbygas

Np problems at all. I don't see any aggression in the tank. I've always believed that the aggression is the result of lack of food, or lack of space. If both are abundant, then there is lesser chance of aggression. I think it's the same with some fish nibbling corals. Generally, If the fish have enough food, they won't eat the corals, although there is always the exception! As you can imagine, I feed heavily :)

Nobbygas

It is more Orange, but the filter makes it look a bit yellowy. It's Orange Florida Ricordia. I bought my first piece (about the size of a 10p) for 50 euros. Going on that I must have about 500 euros worth now! I've had it ever since I had a 60 liter Nano. There is some Green there as well. Next I want some Blue. That whole flat plate on the left is my Ricordia Garden.