Nobby's S-650

SPR

Yes rocket launcher exactly sums it up - that's what I thought! I had measured the cabinet before I went to the shop and got dimensions off web site otherwise I wouldn't have bought it either!

The reason I didn't put it in glass sump is that I wanted to keep it clear as when I do a water change I do it from there and it's very easy. The siphon from the tank just takes ages. My way takes minutes

Also I don't think it will fit virtically because of were the holding bracket fits and were the glass of the side of the sump is. If it does it will be very tight and if course you need to get at it. If you want it in the sump you could fit it somewhere I'm sure as can be either vertical or horizontal. I just didn't want to take all of it up with a rocket launcher! Try it when your setting up it might just fit.

I did think about screwing it to the wooden panel at the top of the cabinet (under the tank) but with all the pipes thought it would be a pain with the protein skimmer and filters etc when changing and cleaning.

I don't intend leaving it on while I am away just in case, but I got some fairly substantial metal pipe ties which you can see on the picture so I don't think the pipe is going anywhere

Also while your haemorrhaging money, I have just cleaned my glass and you will need something. I had a JBL floaty Max II originally which is very good but had been looking at one called a Flipper Max for ages but is £70 so I didn't get it for ages. It's brilliant for the 650 so if you have the cash get one. There is a video on their website. Very powerful magnets so cleans everything off

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Ha, ha, I forgot about the Flipper. Thanks for reminding me! I also need a decent scrapper as I intend to attempt to keep the back wall clean.

You've convinced me about the JBL 36w. I'll get one. That was an interesting article about UV's. There really does seem to be a different view on them between the US and the UK reefers.

I've been using some clever mental manipulation with the wife. What I've done is adopt a woman's mentality (which we all know is practically impossible). Bare with me.The 650 normally costs about 5,000 euros, but I got a 20% discount, thereby saving 1,000 euro. I kept talking about how much money we had saved.......so now, when I walk in the door with something new, I announce that in fact, it was FREE, because I'm just using the 1,000 euros that was saved. I watch as her mouth opens and closes, but she knows that I am just using the exact same argument a woman would use, so of course, she has to agree with me.

Reactions: SPR

Nobbygas

Questions...questions....questions.....

Anyone using Triton Core7 Reef Supplements? I understand that you do not need an algae bed?

Nobbygas

It has been confirmed that the tank will be delivered tomorrow (Wednesday). Amazingly, the guys delivering the tank will break-down the package outside, and then carry everything into the house for me, and then take away all of the packaging ! Not bad considering they will have to carry it up eight steps to get to my front door !

Dmitri Morozov

Make sure you have at least 4 people after you put up the stand.
It take around 3-4 hours to set up stand then the fun begins.
I had 2 helpers and we could not lift the tank, had to go to the neighbor for help.

My tank is about week and a half old...
Good luck to you and have fun!

IMG_5708.jpg

Nobbygas

Thanks. I'm well aware of the weight and I have three chunky friends lined-up to help me lift the tank once the stand is complete.

Nobbygas

So, the tank arrived last night. I was impressed by the two guys who delivered it. It took just the two of them to carry the tank up the eight steps and into the house. If it were just me and one other, I wouldn't have been able to manage it. They were a chunky pair !
The quality of the tank and equipment is quite evident. For the base frame, every single piece is individually lettered, so it's easy to follow the assembly instructions. Every single bag of screws/nuts etc is labeled so you know where to find anything. For the screws they even provide an extension bit to put into your electric screwdriver. There are loads of smaller boxes and every box is labeled so you know what is inside them. There was also a very neat fold-up stool to stand on when you need to reach into the tank when it's assembled. I have half assembled the base frame. My electric screwdriver ran out of juice, and I need to buy a proper one today. The one I have is ok for IKEA stuff, but I need a proper one with a bit more grunttank1.jpg tank2.jpg tank3.jpg . All of the pieces fitted together and every hole lined-up. It already looks as though it justifies the price tag.

Nobbygas

I've nearly finished the build. Here are a few pics of the progress.. The last photo is a piece about 36cm x 24cm. It's the same material as in the sump lining........but I've no idea where it goes ! Any ideas?

Attachments

• 2016-10-27 21.26.59.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 65
  • 2016-10-27 22.37.27.jpg
    884 KB · Views: 58
  • 2016-10-27 22.38.05.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 56
  • 2016-10-29 11.39.17.jpg
    998.4 KB · Views: 60
  • 2016-10-29 19.30.29.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68

SPR

I've nearly finished the build. Here are a few pics of the progress.. The last photo is a piece about 36cm x 24cm. It's the same material as in the sump lining........but I've no idea where it goes ! Any ideas?
Ok I'm just away for a few days so can't look inside mine but I think it fits on the bottom of the power centre?

I could be wrong but I don't think it's in the instruction manual but I seem to remember lying on my back in the cupboard trying to put it on having found were it went - same problem as you!

Last edited:

Nobbygas

Ok I'm just away for a few days so can't look inside mine but I think it fits on the bottom of the power centre?

I could be wrong but I don't think it's in the instruction manual but I seem to remember lying on my back in the cupboard trying to put it on having found were it went - same problem as you!
Yep, apparently that is where it goes, but I don't think it really matters as it doesn't seem to do anything !

SPR

I imagine its probably in case people put chillers or attachments in that cupboard which might have water flow so just an extra safety feature.

Nobbygas

No progress with that tank as we've had some electrical problems on that floor of the house, so we have to get that fixed before I plug the tank in. No need to give She Who Must Be Obeyed any ammo.
In the meantime, I've stocked up on test kits (Salifert) and I've ordered a 36W UV Sterilizer. The Tubing for the Doser has arrived, so has the Flipper Max. I've also got my first stock of Trition Reef Supplements.

I just have to wait for the electricians to sort out the problem...............

Nobbygas

No progress with that tank as we've had some electrical problems on that floor of the house, so we have to get that fixed before I plug the tank in. No need to give She Who Must Be Obeyed any ammo.
In the meantime, I've stocked up on test kits (Salifert) and I've ordered a 36W UV Sterilizer. The Tubing for the Doser has arrived, so has the Flipper Max. I've also got my first stock of Trition Reef Supplements.

I just have to wait for the electricians to sort out the problem...............
At long last, the electric problems in the house have been sorted out, so I can continue with the tank.
First off was the water fill. This is going to be pretty slow as I don't have that much storage capacity for the RO, however I expect it to be finished by this coming Tuesday.

Nobbygas

Water_Fill_zpssito8g72.jpg

At long last, the electric problems in the house have been sorted out, so I can continue with the tank.
First off was the water fill. This is going to be pretty slow as I don't have that much storage capacity for the RO, however I expect it to be finished by this coming Tuesday.
Water_Fill_zpssito8g72.jpg

Next is the rock scaping. I first made several attempts on the dining room table.......

rocks_zpskel7uh1p.jpg

Nobbygas

and finally, placing the rocks into the tank. Initially I have only 45K of Rock. I may, or may not, add more rock at some stage. I've also not stuck the rocks together as I will probably re-scape in the next few weeks. They are very stable at the moment, and once the sand is added it'll be even better. I think it's pretty rare to get the look you want first time. What may look good on the table looks totally different under water!
In_Tank_zpsrobcdcld.jpg

Tonight I'm hoping to add the salt, mix, bring up to temperature, and then add the Sand. Once the Sand has settled, I will complete the water fill to include the Sump area.

Hopefully, if the Salt Water Gods decide in my favour, I may have the tank & sump fully filled, salted, up to temperature and running by Wednesday evening.
In the meantime, I've been sorting the lights out. I don't find the MyAI App for the lights the easiest piece of software I've ever come across, in fact it's pretty terrible.

Nobbygas

In the background...........

I've only got about 45k of rock in the tank, when all available advice suggests I need more like 65k. I don't want to create a 'rock blob', as I'm going for a more open look with a lot of swimming space. So, to help out with the bio filtration I've ordered a block of Marine Pure that will sit in the Sump.

Nobbygas

Last night I added the salt and let it mix. When that was complete, I added the sand. Now I've got a sand storm in a tank ! I just have to wait for it all to settle. At the moment the water level is just below the weir.
The next step will be to finish the water fill to include the sump.......and then fire it up !