NJ Reefers Club Frag Swap & Symposium

panmanmatt

yes come join us :D

and I missed the chocolate too !!

When we meet up to get you your stuff I'll have some chocolate for you.

Kathy, you really should join the club. It's a great group of people.

I got some zoas, an awesome rhodactis mushroom and finally got my pulsing sinularia that I have been looking for about a year now. Pics will be tomorrow hopefully as the lights are out for the night.

panmanmatt

Here's a few pics of what I got:

zoas
frags002-1.jpg

frags007-1.jpg

pulsing sinularia
frags005-1.jpg

an awesome rhodactis mushroom
frags008-1.jpg

kathywithbirds

Hey you know, there was a tank there with what I assumed were RBTAs. Were some of them dyed somehow? Some just looked weird, neon almost.

billyr98

nope ralph is always at our meetings.. i have two of them.. they get them all the time.. mother colonies always split

panmanmatt

Hey you know, there was a tank there with what I assumed were RBTAs. Were some of them dyed somehow? Some just looked weird, neon almost.

If you were looking at the RBTAs, how did you miss the Seahorse.Org booth?
I had the pony tank set up right next to them.

kathywithbirds

If you were looking at the RBTAs, how did you miss the Seahorse.Org booth?
I had the pony tank set up right next to them.

I dunno. I would have been staring at the pones for a while, too. Must have been Mike pulling at me... "can I get this..."

BTW would a 2 inch long barracude prove a problem wtih 2 "hippocampus" (that's what they were laneled) black, seahorses, about 4 inches long with tail?

panmanmatt

No problem at all. The barracuda would eat them without any trouble.

There are actually only a few fish that are compatible with seahorses, barracuda aren't one of them. :)

All seahorses are of the genus Hippocampus, and black is not a species and means nothing. Seahorses change colors. Black is actually a sign of a stressed seahorse.

If you want to get ponies, please get them from a reputable source. I can put in in touch with a couple breeders, it will save you lots of heartache and money in the long run.

panmanmatt

Kathy, here is a list of tankmates for seahorses. It is a little outdated and we are working on a new photo illustrated version that should be ready shortly (I hope).

kathywithbirds

No problem at all. The barracuda would eat them without any trouble.

Black is actually a sign of a stressed seahorse.

If you want to get ponies, please get them from a reputable source. I can put in in touch with a couple breeders, it will save you lots of heartache and money in the long run.

No no!! I am no where near ready for ponies (one year maybe... : ) the reason I ask is that an LFS I was just at dumped a tiny barracuda in with the two seahorses that were already in there. I asked if the 'cuda would be a problem, the guy said nah, he's too small yet, but would be later.

And don't they need cooler temps than most other marine fish?

panmanmatt

I can almost guarantee you that the barracuda will not hesitate to take a bite at those seahorses. And if he doesn't, just his rapid movements will stress the horses, not to mention the fact that they will almost never get to eat as the barracuda is such an aggressive feeder it will eat all the food before the horses have a chance to get any.

And yes, seahorses need lower temps. 74F is the upper limits for tropical species.

panmanmatt

That's terrible, I thought so. Where's Witty? He needs to go over there and give 'em he&&.

That is very common practice with LFS and seahorses. The worst thing anyone can do is buy those horses, it will just encourage the owner to bring in more and treat them just as bad. It is very hard, but the best thing is to leave them there and let the owner take the loss when they die. Maybe he will think twice before bringing them in again.

When you are ready to start your pony tank, holler if you need any help.