Nitrogen Cycle on Track?

Katherine

Hi everyone!
I recently started up a Red Sea Reefer 250 (65 gallon with sump). It has been running since the first week of April. I had used some Prodibio Bacteria to start the cycle. All of my readings were zero, so I thought things were good. I got a clean up crew from the LFS and then a few days later my ammonia spiked. As of yesterday my ammonia was almost back to zero, but my nitrites are still high. I have been putting a bit of food in every other day. Should I stop putting food in? Should I remove the clean up crew? Help please!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

I would hold steady now.... and not add any more livestock ... until your nitrites drop to zero and you start water changes... feeding the tank a bit with the cuc in won't hurt I don't think, but you may end up losing some of you cuc to the nitrites being high, which would be just like feeding the cycle...

see what others think...

Cycle:

The Ammonia will raise then drop, followed by the Nitrites raising and then dropping, then the Nitrates will soar - once the ammonia & nitrites are gone, then do water changes to reduce nitrates.

Ammonia > Nitrite > Nitrate

Tank Cycled

CyclingGraph.gif