Nitrites Level .1 (RSM 130D)

NemoChirp

I have a Red Sea Max 130D for about 2 months now.

My Nitrite level hasn't gone down from .1 for 2 weeks now.. Phospate, Nitrate and Ammonia levels are all zeros. My Salinity is 1.026.

Even after doing a 25% water change (weekly basis) nitrite is still .1. I am using RSM Marine Lab to test for Nitrite.

What can I do to bring it down to 0?

Thanks.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
You'll want to get another test method. Either buy another kit, have a friend use their kit or have LFS test. You may have a "testing" issue on your hands.

tnwillia

+2^, the Red Sea Nitrate test kits have had lots of problems in this area. Try another brand and betting you'll see better results. Good luck!

Snowman

I am 100% with everybody else. I had the same problems with the Nitrite, and Nitrate test kits. I switched brands and that solved my problem.

tnwillia

I'm using API with Salifert as my fall back verification if I have questions on a test. Good luck!

Mischko

Agree with the other guys here. Double check with another BRAND test kit. If the test kit contains a reference solution like the Tropic Marine Nitrite/Nitrate test, test against it to exclude handling errors.
Another thing on higher Nitrite levels. First of all and I am sure you are aware of it, Nitrite is not as poiseness as it is in fresh water. Second, a raised Nitrite level is always an indication the chain breaking Ammonia -> Nitrite -> Nitrate is not properly working due to several causes. Just changing water will of course lowel the levels, but won't solve the problem.

NemoChirp

Thank You Mischko. I will buy another test kit from a different manufacturer and see the test results. I am crossing my fingers that the result is 0.