Nitrites at .5

rsigler

Hey Gang,

I'm new to the hobby, so please be patient.

I have a 28 gallon tank with live rock and a hang-on-the-back filter.

It's been running almost 6 weeks. I just did another water test, and here is what I got:

pH=8.2
Ammonia=0
Nitrite=0.5 ppm
Nitrate=5 ppm

Should I be concerned about the Nitrites? When/how do they go to 0? It seems like they really haven't spiked, but rather are staying at .5.

Thanks for any advice!

Rob

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hello Rob and welcome to RS!

Tell us more about your tank How many and what kind of fish do you have in there?

Nitrite is toxic to fish even in small amounts so it's something to be concerned about. Could you possible get a set of tests ran at your LFS or something just to make sure of the accuracy of your results so we're not fighting something that's not there

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
It could be possible that your tank is not fully cycled yet either. Usually you will see trites dro to zero when the cycle is over. Good test kits are key to knowing though.

Good luck!

PSU4ME

Re: Nitrites at .5
It could be possible that your tank is not fully cycled yet either. Usually you will see trites dro to zero when the cycle is over. Good test kits are key to knowing though.

Good luck!

Just like he said, you're tank is not fully cycled yet. I would wait maybe another 2 weeks then see

srusso

Surprised no one mentioned, that you should probably do a water change now.

+1 on your tank still cycling

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

what test kits are you using? I have seen the older Red Sea Test kits nitrite test hang on .05 many times... if you can get lfs to verify your test or 2nd test brand to verify might be good...

You are on your way ... and being you have waited 6 weeks so far Cheers for going slow, if the test are valid, won't be much longer now :dance: