Newbie to keeping fish and jumping in with marine!

Natalie Wadley

Hi everyone,

As the title says, im new to keeping fish and decided if i was going to do it then i may as well get the system i really wanted, so here i am starting my marine aquarium journey.

So what do i have....will right now...no fish I brought the Red sea reefer 170 over a year ago and let it gather dust until Tuesday just gone! I now have a set up...woop woop. I put my sand, live rock and water in Thursay, so now im waiting for two weeks until i get my water checked (i generally wouldnt be here without the help of the marine shop staff)

So thats it really, I've pre-populated my chosen fish and as you can probably guess i consider them very newbie fish. An onyx Percula Clown, wetmorella wrasse and possibly a fathead anthia are probably the more exotic of my selection but am a way off that, my next dilema is whether to get a BTA but an i while off that yet, afterall i have only had water in my system 48 hours!

Looking forward to learning and building my tank. Wish me luck!
Natalie

DaveK

Welcome to RS.

I would suggest that you get your own test kits. Don't depend on the LFS. You want to follow the initial cycle through it's course.

You should also add some form of organic matter to start the initial cycle. I usually use a small piece of raw supermarket shrimp. Do not depend on waiting a fixed amount of time. A really fast cycle sometimes happens in a couple fo weeks, but other tanks might need a month or more to complete the initial cycle. This is why you want to have your own test kits.

Anemones need very well established stable tanks, and top quality water and lighting. I'm not saying do not add an anemone, but you should wait about a year before you try one. It will take about that long to get the tank well established.

Natalie Wadley

Thank you DaveK, i have purchased my own test kits ready, i was thinking of seeing whats happening to my water on Friday, which would be about a week.

I will be taking my time with livestock, since doing more research and more of an understanding of whats going on in the cycle process, i wont be rushing as i dont want to have excess algae growth due to insufficient anaerobic bacteria. Its all very complex but i definitely want to get my ecosystem right.

Thanks for the advice and welcomes
Natalie