Newbie: Red Sea Max 130 Reef Tank

FireNurse

Hi, so I'm new to saltwater tanks, been a diver for 15 years and finally got a tank to have my reef at home as well. Happy for any tips/tricks ideas of what you think I should do.... (never been on a forum before but have done lots of research)
Have a Red Sea Max 130 w/
Tunze 9002 protien skimmer
Ehiem jager 150 w aquarium heater
Red sea max 340 gph circulation pump
Vortech Mp10 propeller pump
Steve's LED lights with typhon controller and moonlighting
In tank media basket w/
- blue white floss
- purigen
- CPE

Started tank to cycle (will be a long cycle as I am busy with work and a putting on a huge distracted driving program and out of state a couple times and dont want to rush it)
Have RO/DI water made myself (has a tds meter) that is made from very clean well water. Just mixing the saltwater only in tank for a couple days to run pumps and get salinity right (using instant ocean reef crystals)
Have caribsea pink fiji and bahama oolite sand, 20 lbs each to add
Have 45 lbs of dry reef rock to add(already well cleaned by me) - I researched and choose to start dry rock because I will mostly just be cycling till beginning of December
Looking at getting from reef cleaners the all algae crew made for RSM 130
Due to not really having much for LFS, have only petco/petsmart, tiny shop that has a few saltwater fish probably will have to do liveaquaria for fish. There is a local guy who sells frags of all kinds I can buy from for coral. Not planning on any anenomes at his recommendation as there are other options for a host for the clowns that are less likely to kill my coral or take over the tank.
Fish wise I am planning on a goby/shrimp pair and at least a pair of clowns havent chose what else very open to recommendations.
Please let me know what you think, any tips/tricks, recommendations.

DaveK

Sounds like your doing everything fairly well. The only suggestion I have is to consider other possible choices for fish other than the clowns. This is for two reasons. 1 - A lot of clowns available in this day and age seem to be in really bad shape. 2 - An RSM 130 isn't too large of a tank. Ask yourself if you really want to have a pair of clowns and would you be better off devoting the space to two other fish.

I'm not saying don't get the clowns, just consider other fish before you do.

DaveK

Fish selection is very subjective, and it's very difficult to recommend something to someone else because everyone wants something different out of their system. I will however, give you a few of my favorites, and you can check them out and see if you like them.

Royal Gramma - Just about the perfect reef fish, colorful, and peaceful
Firefish, and it's close relatives - Another excellent fish, excellent jumpers so make sure the tank is covered
Yellowhead Jawfish - lots of personality, needs a sandbed to dig in, also an excellent jumper. Avoid the related species, the blue spot jawfish, as a blue spot has some special requirements.
Banggai Cardinalfish and Pajama Cardinalfish - two other interesting fish, but not as colorful as some of the others.
Spotted Hawkfish - lots of personality, easy to keep, may eat small hermit crabs. Other closely related species are good also.
Marine beta - Very striking color pattern
Various gobies - peaceful, but check each species out first, some have special requirements.
Various Faire Wrasses - Generally reef safe, but will go after pods. Don't add if you want to keep a fish that needs a lot od pods in the tank, such as a mandarin.
Various dwarf angles (Centropyge species) - Only add 1. Angles in a reef can always be a bit tricky, since some individuals will go after corals. If you get one have a "plan B" for the fish in case it doesn't work out.