Newbie mistakes - RSM250 lighting issues.

gmckay

It may be known to a few veterans RSM owners, but I will offer some knowledge learned in my problem experienced with T 5's not working.

I purchased this system from a previous owner, and noted 2 of the. T5's were not working. The owner indicated that they had recently burned out and did not replace them. Accepting this as is, I proceeded to install 2 new bulbs in socket 1 & 2 after setting up the tank at my home.

Interestingly, the bulbs would flash at the ends then nothing. Turning the unit on and off would reproduce the same result. Now here is where it gets interesting...

I assumed that the ballast was faulty. In order to eliminate the bulbs from being the problem, I tried them in working sockets 3 & 4...this time they worked. Seemingly, I confirmed that the ballast was faulty.

On to the next step, I wanted to assure myself that the ballast for socket 1 & 2 was the issue, I installed old working bulbs from 5 & 6 socket on to socket 1 & 2' and the new bulbs on 5 & 6. This time, the bulbs on both 1,2, 5, & 6 would flash and then stay off. Hmmm....not a faulty ballast.

Opened the hood and dismantled the unit. Checked all relays and voltages...everything metered fine...however the ballast was making a slight humming noise on initial power up then stop.

Called RSM support yielded no advise. So I proceeded to order 2 new ballasts to see if that would solve the issue.

Before receiving the ballasts, I put the hood back together again, cleaned the sockets and all the crud out of the hood and powered up once again. This time everything worked!

What I finally determined is that some bulbs are slightly shorter than others, And the sockets need to be pressed in. If your sockets are not fully seated into the bulb pins, you will experience the initial arcing flash that I assumed was a ballast issue.

Lessons learned

1) Make assumptions in order to prove or eliminate a potential cause. If your assumptions cannot be proven, keep thinking !

2) The hoods are really hard to dismantle. Despite using all my muscle, those plastic screw covers would not budge. (Had to drill a hole in them, insert screw and pull out with the screw)

3) RSM does not offer much in the way of technical help. They suggested I call in an electrician.

They seem to be out of stock on parts ...specifically the LED drivers which have been on back order for nearly a year.. With a blown driver, your fans and ballast will not work as a bank of relays must be powered from this driver. I also wanted to get hold of those screw covered but they are out of stock on those also.

And the most important lesson....

4) Press those sockets into the bulb pins. These sockets are quite flexible and will accommodate slightly shorter bulbs (Giessemman) in my case.

So if anyone in Canada is in need of a ballast or two....let me know. On that note. Canadians ordering repair parts from RSM ask to have shipping from other than UPS...the brokerage cost was $32!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and the RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

Glad you got it sorted ! Thanks for sharing the tips ... really good helpful stuff !

Several threads in the club related, with detailed pics on taking the hood apart, how members debugged & replacing the drivers & ballasts ... strange on the parts availability, several members have reported ordering & install the drivers and ballasts.

on a sidebar did you know Giessemman makes Red Sea bulbs :)