Newbie marine tank

Tha DJ

Hi all.... My first post. Just though I would say hi and to say that my First marine tank is 1 week and 2 days old. LOL

Its got about 15 KGs of live rock
1 Banded Coral Shrip
4 hermit crabs
1 Blue Damzil

now I have to get my water right. So its the waiting and water changing game at the moment.
I need to know what my ph and nitrate levels should be sitting at. Right now I am going through a phosphate spike.

Regards Tha DJ :fishy2:

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
You want your amonia and nitrite levels to be 0 before adding livestock to the tank. Then with water changes you reduce the nitrates.
ph should be between 8.2 and 8.4

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
:hallo: DJ! Welcome to the Sanctuary. Phosphate is controlled by watching what goes into the tank. Tap water, fish foods (frozen and dry) and certain additives and salt mixes can all contain phosphates. Once they are in the tank, using a phosphate removal media like PhosBan or RowaPhos is your best bet. All the best!

Tha DJ

:tumble: Wow... Thanks all for your replies. I started my tank with Sea water that i collected. I live In South Africa. Now I am doing 20 liters a week water changes with RO and salt mix. Going through a phosphate spike at the moment. So Im having to clean algea off the glass everyday. I want to upload photos of my tank but is says the file size is to big, ARG@!! hahah:columbo:

Anselth

You can upload the files to photobucket, and then paste the IMG codes into a message.

lcstorc

If you add them to your gallery and link to it in your thread you can make them bigger. Still pretty small but I think 200k vs the 50k to put right in the thread. Photobucket can be much larger.
Photobucket.com

nikkipigtails

I upload mine to Tinypic.com. Then choose to resize to "message board" size, upload then paste the img code from "forums". It's super easy.

Oh, and Hello!!!

Tha DJ

Hey all... as you know I have a banded coral shrip and if you read up it a new tank.... I have recently noticed a new addition to my tank. It is a shrip But Im not sure how he got there and what type of shrip it is. It is a bit longer than your thumb nail and rather thin.. Still a baby, it has red horizontal stripes and two tiny pincers. and a kind of a lobster tail... I been looking on the net for a pic of a baby banded coral shrip to see if it looks like what i discoverd in my tank.. Any Ideas or answers????

Thanks for your help once again SORRY I MEAN SHRIMP... My M key is faulty

Tha DJ

:surrender: