Newbie here

RyanC

Hello everyone. My family and I have decided to take up a saltwater aquarium as a family bonding hobby together and couldn’t be more excited. Neither my wife or I have ever had an aquarium so we decided that to make it a little more easy on us, we purchased an Aquatop Recife eco 40 gal all in one tank. I’ve researched and I’ve seen a lot of people not like the all in one systems, but it just seemed like the perfect fit for us just getting started and learning. This is technically a birthday present for my almost 3 yr old but it’s turning into a whole family adventure. My wife has been very apprehensive and worried but after I’ve done an extensive amount of research and relayed the information to her, she seems to be getting just as excited. We set this tank up last night and are going to be adding our first fish, 2 clowns most likely on Saturday. Probably gonnna be another month or so after that we add any more fish, maybe a clean up crew before that even. I’ve been looking at a lot of forums and decided to sign up for this one due to one major thing, it seems like the people in this forum are not as, for lack of a better word, mean as in others. I really enjoy reading the old threads and seeing the amount of positivity to everyone rather than the negative. I am also going to be purchasing a 20 gallon quarantine tank for any disease problems and for adding new fish too the tank. Well, that’s all, just wanted to say hello and post a picture of my new tank. Can’t wait to get more involved in the community!

Ryan, Janelle and Jaxson

Attachments

• F104D12A-1A81-4D4C-89F2-66F3DA5E0A4A.jpeg
    F104D12A-1A81-4D4C-89F2-66F3DA5E0A4A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 22
  • 802A5B6D-7C52-4E0E-B632-9F8B0A99214F.jpeg
    802A5B6D-7C52-4E0E-B632-9F8B0A99214F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 8C6CBA09-75D9-4646-89F6-B73E9D56BF17.jpeg
    8C6CBA09-75D9-4646-89F6-B73E9D56BF17.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9

Uncle99

Hi and welcome the Reef Sanctuary.
I see a nice new tank and rock.
You need to cycle your tank before you add livestock.
Cycling is a term which describes a point in time ( say 4-8 weeks) in which enough beneficial bacteria exist within your live rock to process wastes from livestock. Without this process your fish would die from ammonia poisoning.
Cycling is the first step in creating a healthy and safe environment.
Maybe have a read of this in the stickys and if you need any advice, lots of members here to help you along the way.

DaveK

Agreed. The system must be cycled before you add any fish. This typically takes a month or two. At that point you can add a clean up crew, and wait another few weeks. Then you can start to add fish. Don't try to bypass this important step. Despite all the "instant cycle" products on the market, I find that there is no substitute for time.

You'll also need something to kick off the cycle. I usually add a piece of raw shrimp and let it totally decay.

You'll know the initial cycle is complete when you see ammonia and then nitrite peak and drop back to 0. You'll also see a rise in nitrate.

RyanC

Thank you both for the info. I do know about the cycle time and don’t plan on adding anything for 4-6 weeks or more depending on the levels. I have been told by both my LFS that clown fish are considered hardy enough to be able to add while cycling. Are they wrong? I did use a quick start chemical to speed up the process a little.

Uncle99

I think it's terrible advice. A uncycled tank would put a stress on the fish, in addition, the water would not be stable, again adding stres. Usually ends up in dead fish ( via suffocation) or an Ick infected DT, but that's just my thinking.

I can only suggest you follow DaveK's advice.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:to RS ! Look forward to seeing your tank progress !

RS is a sanctuary of reefing forums & flame free !

Tip when LFS tells you anything... make a post & verify, they often... give less than the best advise :rolleyes:

Here a GREAT read on cycling... it is a read you may need to read more than one ( I have read it many times...) but some of the best advise on the net.

Newbies, a little something on cycling/breaking in a new reef tank.

pretty scape

index.php

SPR

In my opinion, you LFS lied. Doing this is something I would not recommend. You are stressing the fish for no good reason. Don't do it.
Hi Ryan

+1, that’s terrible advice from an LFS, and I for one wouldn’t go back if they are prepared to treat live stock like that.

Just imagine what they might tell you if you really needed help or advice, this is fairly basic stuff here not advanced reefing!

If you want to get going quickly or you’ve already added fish, then add some bacteria in a bottle like ATM Colony and then your good to go straight way. It’s pretty much an instant cycle.

And enjoy the hobby and start a build thread when you get chance so we can follow along.