NEWBIE here looking for advice

Badvegas221

Hello! I finally have the space to bring an aquarium into my home! :rolleyes: I am an avid scuba diver and my goal is to create a colorful, salt water reef system to keep me entertained between dive trips! I have been doing some research and am getting pretty overwhelmed. I am leaning towards the Red Sea line as they seem to be pretty 'fool proof' and include everything a beginner would need for basic set up? Is this way too much aquarium for a beginner? I just feel like if I had to create a system from scratch I would be lost and probably end up spending more money piecing it all together. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

I started with a RSM 130D as my 1st tank after lots of research, loved it, so much so, after a few years I bought a RSM 250. The RSM Club here on RS is full of lovely successful tanks.

Oxylebius

The all-in-one tanks are an easy way to start off. And this forum supports a lrg community who have the Red Sea brand, therefore you will have easy access in getting any question about those system addressed by those who already have the tanks.

Pat24601

I have the Red Sea C-250 and I absolutely love it. I was a beginner when I bought it. It is about 3 years old now and doing awesome!

Very easy way to get started with a very high quality tank.

Over the years, I've added an ATO, a wave maker, and LED lights, but the ATO is the only thing I'd consider a "must have" and you don't even really need that, it's just a lot easier.

Badvegas221

Thanks everyone! Its a big purchase and I really hope to 'get it right the first time' by getting a quality tank that I wont outgrow too fast. I'm hoping to purchase in the next few weeks and I will update as the progress begins! Until then I will keep lurking and learning! This is such a great site, I'm finding all of the photos very inspiring! You all have some beautiful tanks! :props: Thanks.....BV

Pat24601

I second this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Third, except I'd say it has to fit OK in the room. I got a 250 because my wife thought a 500 would overpower the room. Not sure I agree, but measure it out. :)

But, the point is, it is a giant pain to switch tanks. So, buy the one you really want (and can afford) rather than a "starter" tank you think you'd quickly grow out of.

Crazy Bunny

Bunny here, hi hi,
I second what it said above. The wife bought me a Max Nano a month ago, just start the cycle process and I already want their bigger reefer series. lol.

Uncle99

Yup big as your space and dollars.
Bigger the water, less it changes, so actually beneficial to newer folk.
Red Sea always a good choice, same with many other products of theirs.
I wish I would have done this 3 tanks and stands ago.