Newbie - Can't seem to figure out what's going on with my skimmer

theoptom

Hi Guys,

I am completely new to the forum, but I hoping someone or lots of you can help. So, I have a second hand RSM 130D. I have set everything up and I have the air intake tube out as it's meant to and my skimmer is on. The air intake tube has been closed off with the tap. I know it's meant to be fully open and create the suction. The problem I'm having, is I'm getting white wet foam overflowing into the collection cup even with the air intake shut off. When I fully open it up to allow the suction, which it does, it overflows a lot quicker. The water level is inline with the top marker on the side and the top edge of the glass rim. The height of the column in the collection cup is fully up.

I really don't know what to do, so I have just turned it off for now. It's a fishless cycle (3 days old).

Any advice is really appreciate thanks for reading my first post,

The Optom

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

It may be breaking in again... it's a bit of playing with it, seems you have a good general idea of the water level it needs... play with the surface cup skimmer height... in small increments

Mike Johnson

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary. Just starting up a new tank you're naturally going to have problems adjusting you skimmer - new sand, so on. Do what nanoreefing4fun said, raise your skimmer cup.

theoptom

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary. Just starting up a new tank you're naturally going to have problems adjusting you skimmer - new sand, so on. Do what nanoreefing4fun said, raise your skimmer cup.

Hi Guys, thank you for your kind welcomes, I'll certainly see if I can put some pics up. Can I ask what you mean by raising the skimmer cup? Do you mean the twistable column? or do you mean lift the entire skimmer up a bit? Apologies in advance, probably a really stupid question lol

Thanks

Chirag

theoptom

Yes the twistable column, raise it up.

Thanks. The column is current twisted all the way up. I have reduced the water level in the back sump area, whilst maintaining the tank water level. But I had to increase the height of the surface skimmer cup so it breaches the surface which I know isn't ideal. With it like this I have opened up the air tap into the skimmer partially so that I have a nice heavy white foam up to the top of the column but not sure if thats what its meant to be like. Can I ask how I can go about attaching images to a post?

Thanks

Chirag

theoptom

Thanks :). P.S i messed about with the column a bit and the water levels and I think i've managed to regulate the foam production into the cup without it being too wet. So thank you all once again

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish::welcomera:swmfish:

Hi,
If you have any questions, just post them on the forum and someone will help you out.

They're a friendly bunch of people on here and you'll be sure to make some good contacts and great friends.

The advice and tips on here are invaluable to any beginner as I myself have found.
If there is anything else that you're not sure of, just post a question here on your thread and someone will help you out pretty quickly.
I checked out a few reef forums before joining this one and it is definitely the best for good advice and great new friends.
Start a Reef Chronicle to show us your progress. Once you've posted 5 messages on the forum, you'll be able to post photos to show the rest of the world your handy-work.
Good Luck and I look forward to see your photos in the near future. :geekin:

YorkieUK.

theoptom

Hi Thank guys yea I might start doing that. Found everyone to be really helpful and quick at replying,

Thanks