Newbee

WillyKing

Hello all just starting to get into Saltwater keeping started a 35 gal FOWLR for now up & going now for about 9 months now figi live rock looks good. for filtration i have a marineland 200 bio wheel a seaclone protien skimmer a SunSun JUP-23 13W UV Sterilizer Submersible Pump.a Marineland Maxi-Jet 900 powerhead for circulation for lighting i have 24 inch 20 watt T8 pro glow & the only fish i have is a tomato clown i had a an Orange fire fish which he killed he is pretty aggressive believe it or not also had green chormis/ pajama cardinal which he chased around as well till they also perished so he is solo afraid to get anything else wasting $$$. besides the clown i have red & blue hermit crabs/turbo snails. So I joined to see what everyone thinks about equipment i have or improvements I can make & ideas of fish stock if possible not removing my Clown.. so i look forward for some feedback Thank You WillyKing!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hi and welcome to RS!!! Friendly bunch of helpful folks here, feel free to ask any questions you may have! :swmfish:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Willy :wave:
:welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
Sorry about your fish losses. Tomato Clowns are known to be very aggressive fish :mad:
I'd be afraid to put another more peaceful fish in with it since it's already killed others.
I hope you aren't too attached to that clown so you can take him back to the LFS (just in case you want to have more than just him in the tank).
VERY BEST WISHES :biker

DaveK

... the only fish i have is a tomato clown ... he is pretty aggressive ... if possible not removing my Clown...

Tomato clowns are very aggressive, and it's going to be difficult to keep other fish with it, especially is a smaller tank. I know it's not what you want to do, but your best solution is to get rid of the fish. Return it to your LFS, sell or give it away.

As for the rest of the equipment, I recommend you replace the SeaClone skimmer. They are just about the worst skimmer I have ever used. I can't say enough bad stuff about them. Get a skimmer worth of your tank.

Snid

Welcome Aboard, Matey!

Not sure you need a UV Sterilizer, but I'm one of the newbs... I've read a few places where they are not really needed, and can actually be killing off beneficial micro-organisms that are helping filter your tank. So a filter that is killing a filter. I'd get confirmation from a pro before removing it though, because as I have said, I'm kinda new.

WillyKing

Thanks for the feedback on my Tomato Terror I think I will return it back to my LFS & start fresh again. any recommendations on stock & as for the Sea Clone skimmer I really have had no problems except for one thing the airline plugs up with gunk & have to clean it out once a week but i am ok with it since I do maintenance once a week anyway. DaveK do you have a skimmer recommendation? & UV Sterilizer does anyone agree with Snid I thought I was doing a good thing having it.:confused:

DaveK

Thanks for the feedback on my Tomato Terror I think I will return it back to my LFS & start fresh again. any recommendations on stock & as for the Sea Clone skimmer I really have had no problems except for one thing the airline plugs up with gunk & have to clean it out once a week but i am ok with it since I do maintenance once a week anyway. DaveK do you have a skimmer recommendation? & UV Sterilizer does anyone agree with Snid I thought I was doing a good thing having it.:confused:

For skimmers on a tank your size, I like the AquaC Remora. That's what I got to replace the [expletive deleted] Seaclone. You'll also see that the Remora about 2 1/2 times the price of the Seaclone. It's well worth the price difference. The Remora is about as close to a set it and forget it skimmer as you can get.

As for UV, generally you only need to use it to solve a specific problem. They are good for killing off algae blooms the cause green water, and for taking care of some kinds of bacteria blooms. They will not do much to stop algae growing on live rock, or disease control or prevention. Since you already have the unit, you may as well use it, but it we were starting from scratch, I'd say that you could skip it.

There are a lot of possible fish you could choose for your tank. Here are a few I like and are easy to keep -
Royal Grama - Just about the perfect reef fish, lots of color
Spotted Hawk - Not as colorful as some, but it's got a tassled dorsal fin, and lots of personality. They will eat shrimp and so on.
Gobies (various species) - Another great group of fish, lots of color.