Newbee With Recomendation Questions.

ArmyVeteran

Hello All,

I have been keeping fish for almost 5 years now, all have been freshwater. I have has from 10g to 150g and as many as 4 to 5 tanks up and going at a time. I am now coming over the other side and want to do saltwater tanks. Currently I have a 150g freshwater tank with Aust. Rainbows, a 90G that I am cleaning out soon to make into a reef tank, and a 40G breeder that I will do salt as well. My overall goal is to have a 150g salt, 150g fresh for my rainbows, 90g reef, and 40g breeder salt. I already know about maintenance and I will only use RODI water for my salt tanks. For the 150g Salt (which will be later) will be a wet dry setup no corals in there, The 90g set up I will do sump or refugium (Still researching) and the 40 Breeder wet/dry. I want to use wet dry on those thanks because I already have them to use. Below is my questions/ recommendation.
1) With the 90g reef tank it is a 48"X18"X20ish, I will do a 40g breeder tank which I will also build in a 10G auto top off for it. Should I go with a sump or refugium with live sump? Have some algae growth in there? Also I have been recommended the reef octopus skimmer, do you recommend that one or another one? Also do you believe I will need a chiller because of coral? The tank have a hood kit with it, but it will be open top with the setup, also the canopy I build is completely open on the top. The tank is not reef ready so I will be using overflow boxes.

2) What type of fish do you like for reef tank; this will be a 90G tank?

3) I will not do a reef tank in my 40G breeder due to the set up I built, what fish do you like for the tank this size?
4) What skimmer do you recommend for a 40G breeder?
5) How often do you do water changed, In my fresh I do about 30% once a month? I know salt might require more.

Thanks for all the advice I hope to be getting and thanks for the time.

engineer goby

Has been struck by the ban stick
Hello and welcome to RS
Your need for a chiller is going to depend for the most part on your lights, if you using MH probably.
What kind of fish should you put in the tank is all up to what you want just make sure they are appropriate for a 90 gallon reef tank, I use live aquaria for ref Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

Reef octopus is a quality skimmer

How often you change your water will depend on what your keeping at what your bio load is, I change 15 to 20 gallons a week on my 90 but will probably be cutting that back to every other week

reefer gladness

Welcome to RS!

For me the deep sand bed refugium was just a nitrate factory and more trouble than it was worth to keep clean. The reef octopuss skimmers are great, I have one in my 58g and would buy from them again. If I had the space I might consider mangroves in the sump but otherwise I'm staying with a 20micron filter sock, big skimmer and some chemi-pure elite in my sump.

You may need a chiller if your tank temps vary more than 2-3 degrees in a day. It's the stability of the temp that's more important, you could safely run at 77 or 82 but you dont want to go from 77 to 82 in the same day. It stresses the fish and can lead to disease.

I'm pretty keen on the wrasse family of fish, very active swimmers and they like to explore the live rock. I have a fairy wrasse that puts on nightly 'flashing' shows. Not as flashy but great personalities are the blenny family. I'll always have at least one wrasse and a blenny in any tank I keep. You don't have to keep corals but I think you do need live rock to keep these guys happy.

Water changes will depend largely on how many fish and how much they are fed. Heavily stocked you should plan on weekly 10% water changes, less frequently depending on the bio-load. You'll find out what your tank needs by keeping on top of the testing especially in the first 6 months.

Good luck!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Tru2nr

Welcome...i dont use a chiller on my 75 with dual 250w halides and dual 54w t5s and have my canopy base hanging about 6" from the trim...wrasses are cool but jumpers, anthias are real nice too

...my names Donnie and I like bishkits

lbiminiblue

Hello All,

I have been keeping fish for almost 5 years now, all have been freshwater. I have has from 10g to 150g and as many as 4 to 5 tanks up and going at a time. I am now coming over the other side and want to do saltwater tanks. Currently I have a 150g freshwater tank with Aust. Rainbows, a 90G that I am cleaning out soon to make into a reef tank, and a 40G breeder that I will do salt as well. My overall goal is to have a 150g salt, 150g fresh for my rainbows, 90g reef, and 40g breeder salt. I already know about maintenance and I will only use RODI water for my salt tanks. For the 150g Salt (which will be later) will be a wet dry setup no corals in there, The 90g set up I will do sump or refugium (Still researching) and the 40 Breeder wet/dry. I want to use wet dry on those thanks because I already have them to use. Below is my questions/ recommendation.
1) With the 90g reef tank it is a 48"X18"X20ish, I will do a 40g breeder tank which I will also build in a 10G auto top off for it. Should I go with a sump or refugium with live sump? Have some algae growth in there? Also I have been recommended the reef octopus skimmer, do you recommend that one or another one? Also do you believe I will need a chiller because of coral? The tank have a hood kit with it, but it will be open top with the setup, also the canopy I build is completely open on the top. The tank is not reef ready so I will be using overflow boxes.

2) What type of fish do you like for reef tank; this will be a 90G tank?

3) I will not do a reef tank in my 40G breeder due to the set up I built, what fish do you like for the tank this size?
4) What skimmer do you recommend for a 40G breeder?
5) How often do you do water changed, In my fresh I do about 30% once a month? I know salt might require more.

Thanks for all the advice I hope to be getting and thanks for the time.
hmm for the reef maybe some tangs, a pair of clowns, cleaner shrimp, and gobies and jawfish. For the fish only 40, maybe wrasses, hawkfish, or if you want a predator tank, then an eel.

MLKsreef

I have a 92 gallon corner tak reef setup. I change 15 gallons weekly. I have a hippo tang, yellow tang, firefish, pair of clowns, six line wrasse, jawfish and a coral beauty. They are all doing fine together.

steved13

PREMIUM
You mentioned you are planning wet/dry. If you are refering to some sort of bio balls, most people will advise against them. They tend to accumulate decaying matter and contribute to polution. Live rock is a much better place for your nitrifying bacteria.

Even if you have the bio balls, I would advise against their use, just throw them away.