New Zoa's closed

jfenton954

Hi I got a new frag of zoa's at a lfs and they were open and very nice. When I brought them home I put them in my tank about medium height in the tank. There was a small power head gently pushing water to them far away and only two would open so after a week I moved them a little lower and a place with a lot lower flow thinking that was bothering the rest. Now none of them open. I have a new reef breeders photon light that at the peak is 60% but the zoa's don't open at all. I didn't dip them cause I ran out of dip. Water levels are a ok. Not sure why they looked so good at the store and not in my tank.

7a305542357b6af164263da0c065a8af.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I am sure it's related to the lights & water, being different from lfs to your tank, but hard to say exactly what...

hopefully they are just pouting & adjusting...

I have had the same thing happen before, I have added zoa frags 3 or 4 and have had them turn into 100's and I have added them before & they melted away... if it not related to any pest, not sure other than conditions being different in some way...

Hopefully others can advise...

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
IMO, You need to try dipping them in Coral RX or whatever coral dip to eliminate the possibility of a zoa eating Nudibranch.
If you get more Zoanthids, dip them before putting them into your tank & don't glue them down because you may need to dip them several more times.
The dip won't kill nudi eggs....if you see eggs, they should be scraped off.
I had Zoa eating Nudibranch troubles at one time...my zoas are OK now tho.
Keep a close watch & Try not to give up!