New (used) RSM 250 - intro & couple Q's

xCry0x

Hi all,

I have had a nano mixed reef set up and running for about 5-6 years. I just pulled the trigger on buying a used RSM 250, upgrading from my 20g to this 65g is a big step forward and I am excited!

A few different LFS I have been to have had various RSM tanks set up and I always liked the tank, I especially love the beveled edges of the 250. It also seems to have a very functional AIO design, which is nice because my long running tank had what I would consider the least functional AIO design imaginable =)

Spent the past week scouring the internet for tips/info on the tank and had a few questions for owners.

1) If you could go back and modify one thing on your tank right off the bat, what would it be?
2) Media reactors -- what have people done?

I ask #1 because I know from my past tank there were things I wish I did before stocking the tank that were only obvious after using the tank for a while. Would love to know those upfront from people with experience.

I ask #2 because I would prefer to run a reactor vs passive GFO/Carbon. I had a BRS reactor before and always had problems w/ it leaking after screwing it back together, so running a reactor hanging on the back scares me - but that could be an issue somewhat unique to the BRS reactors given they are not exactly purpose built for the task.

I already ordered two spin stream nozzles for the returns, ordered new ATI t5 bulbs based on people's recommendations. I have an Aquamaxx hob-1 skimmer, but the stock one doesn't seem to be poor quality so not sure if I would replace it. Also ordered 4 new hood fans since the current ones are old/stock.

Thanks! Will get some pictures going later this week once I move the tank inside, just drained it yesterday after running vinegar in it to clean it up.

Pat24601

First, I love my RSM 250. I think it's a great choice of a tank! I think you'll love it.

Second, really the RSM 250 requires little to no upgrades, really. So, I don't think you have to worry about "I wish I had done YYY" before you stock it.

The only upgrades I've really made are:
(1) ATO-- This one I really would do, but it's not hard,
(2) wavemaker-- Also, I would probably do this even though you don't need to. Standard circulation is really fine. Regardless, it's really easy to add whenever you want. You don't have to do it pre-stock.
(3) I changed my T5s to Steve's LEDS. This is a change that is absolutely unnecessary, but one I really love. It's by far the biggest modification I did. This also isn't a decision you have to make pre-stock. Easy enough to do anytime.

As far as media, I run 2xchemi pure elit, 1x purigen, 1x phosnet (I know that sounds redundant with chemi pure, but it seems to help), 1x filter floss.

That's it. :)

Have fun with the tank! I think you are going to love it!

xCry0x

Thanks. It seems like a tank that runs great stock, which was a big reason why I liked it.

Yea I already have an ATO and would never run a tank without one.

I also have a pair of mp10s -- have seen two RSM 250s set up w/o additional powerheads though so interested to see how it works without them as it makes the display cleaner. I did get sea spins, which should help with the randomization of current coming from return.

LEDs: That is a future project ;) I have a nanobox right now I may disassemble and try to convert the hood into a t5/led hybrid.

I may give it a go with normal media bags.

Have been contemplating getting one (or two) of the minimax AIO reactors: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00BTGC3N6/?tag=reefsanc-20

And jamming them into back chambers.

Might put it off for a future project and run it for a while without.

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie: