New to the hobby buying a stocked rsm 130 and need advice on getting it s

bolofd

New to the hobby buying a stocked rsm130, need advice on moving it

Hi everyone! I am new to this hobby and will be buying a stocked rsm130 off craigslist. I need some help/tips on getting the tank setup in my apartment. Here are the steps I have planned out for now;

1. pour new Caribsea Aragamax Select Sand into clean tank (how many pounds do i need and do i need to rinse it? if so do i use salt water, ro water or tap?)
2.cover sand with bag
3.slowly pour old salt water into tank half way
4.take bag off
5.setup rock to how I want it in container
6.put rock into tank
7.fill with new salt water
8.turn on pumps
9.fill tank to trim
10.start skimmer
11.turn lights and heater on
12.set lights for 8hrs a day

is there anything else I'm missing or should add?

TIA

Last edited:

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
rinse anything going intlo the tank with RO water when possible.
LBS req = 1lbs/gal is the recommended that ive always read.
I woudlnt reuse any of the Saltwater. Make fresh, and only keep enough to keep the animals that come with it in the old tank water.
With or without bag, when you disturb the sand, you are going to get some clowding, its nothing serioius and should settle out in a few days. the bag may help, just make sure its clean
you may have to microwave a few cups(no metal cook pans), of water to get to the correct temp. If you are bringing the livestock from the tank, you need to get them acclimated asap. Aim for temp 78 unless the previous owner tells you different. one the water is full enough, turn on pumps, and do the temp adjustment( i use a 2 or 4 cup measuring cup to warm some water(not to boiling), but hot). allow 20-30 min between additions of hot water before checking temp. once temp is 78, start adding livestock(Float first, then drip acclimation process.) have some extra saltwater made up(5-10 gal should be plenty)

reefer gladness

No doubt there are several ways to do this. This is what I did when I moved everything out of my RSM 130 into a larger tank.

1. mixed enough new water to fill new tank 50% and had more on standby in case - make sure this water tests the same as the water in the tank (alk, pH, calc, mag).
2. rinsed 30 lbs of aragonite with tap water - I use a 5 gallon bucket and water hose under pressure (RO water wouldn't work for the way I clean sand unless you have a ton of it and can put it under pressure). doesn't really matter if sand or water goes in first, if the sand is rinsed well it won't cloud up, if it isn't rinsed well it will cloud up.
3. siphoned as much of the water from the TOP of the RSM so it's not the dirty water from near the sandbed.
4. move LR, corals and fish to the new tank and leave the old sand behind.

I prefer to start with a fresh sandbed, existing LR and as much of the water from the original tank as possible without sucking up the nitrates from the bottom of the tank. I have SPS, LPS and softies, anemones, maxima clams, several fish, etc. and everything did very well in the new tank this way.

bolofd

So i can add the livestock into the cloudy tank as long as they are acclimated and the temp is right in the tank correct? The cloudy water wont affect the livestock?

I only need to test old water for alk, ph, calc and mag? and rinsing sand with tap water is ok? should i rinse again after with ro water?

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yes u can however u will probably experience somewhat of a cycle. Monitor water closely. Ammonia is toxic.

..........rarely am I speechless

bolofd

Yes u can however u will probably experience somewhat of a cycle. Monitor water closely. Ammonia is toxic.

..........rarely am I speechless

So the new sand bed might cause a bit of a cycle?

I should just treat this as setting up a new tank but minus the cycle time right? What if i do experience a small cycle, should i remove the livestock and quarantine them until the tank is cycled?

reefer gladness

A small cycle should be manageable with a decent CUC and water changes, I didn't really experience one in my tank.

Tell us a little more about the CUC and livestock coming with your tank and we can help tell you if the CUC is up to the task.

bolofd

Welcome to RS. Is there any livestock coming with your setup?

Yes it comes with a clown, a wrasse and a couple softies. I'm not to sure about the cuc except for a rather large long spine urchin that I'm getting rid of. If I want to add more to the cuc, is it possible to overstock on them?

Welcome to RS. You should check out the Red Sea Max Owner's Club on this forum. Here is the link:

Red Sea Max Owners Club

As for your CUC, I have many many snails of several varieties in my tank along with about 5 hermit crabs. CUC is probably one of the most important aspects of reef keeping. If you are interested in buying snails and such, check out reefcleaners.org. They run a good business. I was very pleased with my 34 RSM Quick Crew from them.