New to saltwater tanks have a RSM 250 help plz

Fizban

Hello I was given a RSM 250 that was verry neglected so i cleaned it set it up saved what coral i could and now i am getting micro bubbles tank has been running for 3 weeks and water params are good

Last edited:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

on the microbubbles, check your water level 1st, needs to be very high, if this does not help, try cleaning the impellers and their housing for any piece of trash

Fizban

hi thanks for responding i have done all the things you guys have said in your other threads cleaned all the pumps and the sump tuned the cup all the way up filled the tank still getting micro bubbles and hair algae blooms i do saltwater changes every 2 weeks the salt levels are perfect the water checks in on all the tests cal,mag,alk,nitrate,nitrite, and ph still dont know what to do the sump pump has a screen on it and it was verry dirty pics will be coming today

Fizban

Ok thanks ill take it off im new to all of this been doing alot of reading i also have a 30 g biocube that is runnig and looks great The rsm has been a challenge when I got it it was in bad shape red slime and all

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
If you right click on your pics and select Copy Image URL - then click on the little picture frame icon & add it there - it will show up like this :)

Nice start !

index.php

your skimmer pump... should look like this... it does have slits in a plastic peice on the end of it... if your calling that the screen - if that helps...

Red-Sea-Max-250---Skimmer-Pump-(3SK)-(MAX05i).png

Fizban

now im starting to get an algae bloom again i know i dont have enough crabs all my turbo snails died the crabs ate them any help

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Fizban :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
It's very normal for a tank that has been running for less than 6 months to go through a series of algae & diatom outbreaks.
Your snails could have died from ammonia & nitrites during your tank's nitrogen cycle. And crabs love to eat snails whether they are dead or alive :concern:. Sorry for your beginning difficulties.

It might help us to help you better if you post your test results in number values.
Are you testing your water with your own test kit or taking it to the LFS (fish store to be tested :fishy:

Hang in there...getting started and getting past the UTS (ugly tank syndrome) takes lots and lots of patience.

Fizban

Hi Fizban :wave:
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
It's very normal for a tank that has been running for less than 6 months to go through a series of algae & diatom outbreaks.
Your snails could have died from ammonia & nitrites during your tank's nitrogen cycle. And crabs love to eat snails whether they are dead or alive :concern:. Sorry for your beginning difficulties.

It might help us to help you better if you post your test results in number values.
Are you testing your water with your own test kit or taking it to the LFS (fish store to be tested :fishy:

Hang in there...getting started and getting past the UTS (ugly tank syndrome) takes lots and lots of patience.

Fizban

yea i watched the crabs eat the snails i am testing the water my self i feel confident about that the only test i dont have yet is the phosourus test yet the tank was pteviously owned then given to me cuz he no longer had the time to care for it i also have a 30 gallon bio cube that is doing great i think i will love thje sea max once i get the kinks out