New to Saltwater Tanks/Fish Keeping: Suggestions?

thesarahbaseler

I have a 10 gallon tank with two damselfish, an emerald crab, and a snail. The petstore gave me one male damselfish and one female damselfish. Does anyone know if there would be any sort of problems between my animals I currently have? I'd also love to hear about some of your experiences with either damselfish or emerald crabs.

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
Hi, and welcome! I would recommend you start by doing a lot of reading - you've got some catching up to do!

I'm going to assume that your tank has not cycled yet. The damselfish may or may not survive the cycle, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the emerald crab perished during the ammonia and nitrite spikes.

Do you have any live rock in your tank? What are you using for filtration? Sand or any sort of substrate?

Let us know... I think you've come to a good place to learn!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Good advise ^

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

DaveK

First, let me say that I'm not trying to "beat up on the beginner". Everyone was new to this at one time.

However, Having an LFS sell you two damsels and an emerald crab when the tank only 10 gal and isn't cycled yet, is the sort of thing that gives many of them a very bad name. In addition, most species of damsels are very difficult to sex, so it's likely the LFS lied about giving you a male and a female.

Depending on the size of the damsels, you also may have the tank way overstocked. By the time you add rock, a sand bed and so on that 10 gal tank is only holding about 7 gal of water. The rule of thumb for SW stocking is 1 inch of fish per 5 gal of water. This means your tank is good for one 1 1/2 fish or two 3/4" fish, and there is no room left for growth. Now there are people that do go beyond this stocking limit, but I would not recommend this to someone new to the hobby.

I have posted this before, but it's worth repeating -

DaveK's Standard Lecture #1 – Advice for people new to the hobby

The very first thing you want to do, before you spend any money on equipment or livestock, is get yourself a few good books on state of the art reef systems. Then read and study them, so you have some idea about what your are doing.

Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner

The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information.

Once you get that done, plan or rethink your system. What do you want to keep? Do you have the necessary equipment? Do you have the knowledge to keep the livestock you want? Do you have the time to dedicate to keeping a system and it's livestock?

Many salt water fish, corals and inverts often have very specific requirements. Some are extremely difficult to keep alive, even if you do everything right. Before you get anything, research it, and be sure it will work out in your system.

Lastly, you will find that most LFS people are clueless when it comes to SW systems. Verify their advice, until they prove otherwise.

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
DaveK is telling it like it is... without judgment (except maybe to that store who sold you this stuff) but great information.

thesarahbaseler

I've had the tank with the water in it running for about a month... a week ago I put in the live rock and I have crushed coral for the substrate. I have a small filter hanging off the tank and I have the heater.
I just put the fish in the tank today and I have been monitoring the salinity, pH, ammonium, nitrite and nitrate levels. Is the cycle something that starts before or after the fish are added?

Travis

Administrator
Staff member
RS STAFF
The cycle is optimally completed before the fish are added, as the spike in ammonia and nitrite can stress or kill them. The stress can also make them vulnerable to diseases down the road.

Glad to hear the tank was at least running and had some live rock in it. They may help, especially if your ammonia/nitrite are now reading zero.

Do you have a 2-gallon water change on hand? You'll want to match the temperature and salinity as best as possible, and do a 20% water change if your critters become stressed. Again, not optimal to cycle a tank, but perhaps the best way to keep them alive.

Others will have differing opinions on the water change,I'm sure.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:rbwwelc:WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary!:dolphin:
Glad you joined & have already gotten lots of good advise.
The tank should cycle after you add your LiveRock but well before you add any fish.
Way too often beginners what to rush the process & it's usually doesn't end well for the fish.
Saltwater tanks take lots of patience, waiting, adding life very slowly. But You might get lucky & all be well.
What are you currant test readings for Ammonia & Nitrite?
Depending on what number readings are for them, We can advise you more on what to do next.
For sure, don't buy more live critters for your 10 gal. tank.
DaveK is always spot on with his advice & I agree that you are already maxed out.

VERY BEST WISHES....:cruiser: