New to RS and looking for best DIY Wet/Dry Trickle Filter Plans/Thoughts/Ideas

tfeyrer

Hello,
I am new to RS and glad to have found such a valuable resource. I have a 180 gal saltwater tank that has been met with ups/downs over the years, primarily after losing a lot of livestock during a massive ice storm in 2008 when I lost power for 2 weeks. Long story short I lost my desire to really keep up with it until recently. I am now downsizing to a custom built 120 gal acrylic tank (my first acrylic tank by the way) and in the process of building this into the wall as a room divider in a place where it will be much more enjoyable to the location of the 180.

While I am not new to saltwater tanks, I know I have much to learn by my peers and look forward to seeing what all of you have posted in the past and future posts so that I can resurrect my lost passion for keeping a great tank. With that being said, I have seen many plans and thoughts on a DIY wet/dry trickle filter and have ample room to make a big one. Any thoughts/pictures/plans anyone has I would be most greatful.

Thanks, Todd

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Tell us more about the tank and your equipment. Trickle filters are probably a little old school and not the best option these days. If you can get a sump involved you have many better options for filtration such as media canisters, protein skimmer etc