HELP! New (to me) Red Sea Max 130D Setup

dlworley

So I have recently acquired a used Red Sea Max 130D. I have been unable to find out how to setup the media basket and what filters, carbon bags, mechanical filters I need to use and where to put them. I've searched all over online and YouTube just has videos of other people's reed setups and the threads on google doesn't have photos. I am still kind of unfamiliar with some of the parts on the tank so photos would be very beneficial to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have always wanted a salt water tank and now I am just trying to learn a bit more about it and how to set it up and care for it.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :dance:

The Red Sea Max Club here on RS is full of help and tons of pics
http://reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?forums/red-sea-max-owners-club.180/

1st question - when you say media basket - that is not stock on a RSM 130D do you have a StevieT aftermarket one?
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-Media-Basket-RSM3V20.htm

dlworley

I have searched around on other forums just reading a little and I have noticed that everyone is very nice and helpful on here. That link looks identical to the one that I have. With a pump hooked up to it on the side with a magnet and a skimmer on top of it.

dlworley

That name Tunze sounds familiar so I believe that is the skimmers name. I have a black mechanical filter, a bag of Chemi-pure, a bag of Purigen, some Algone nitrate remover bags, and some real fine white/blue filters. I don't know what to use and or where to put this for them to work properly?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
in a media rack... throw it away

run a square of the white/blue, weekly take it to the sink and rinse it out under running tap water,shake dry and replace - then add a new square as needed, it's cheap

dlworley

I'm trying to get all the live rock that I had clean and free of all the algae growing all over it. I also have some grass, mushrooms, and anemones that I'm trying to grow but nothing seems to be working. Have any tips or recommendations?

spiraling

dont panic and don't react until you know the problem. "only bad things happen fast in a reef tank" :eek:

Can you tell us more about your set up? Are you measuring ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, phosphorus, salinity, temperature, and calcium? Without some measurements its a bit hard to know whats up. It could be if you moved the tank that a mini cycle has started and some water changes might be needed. How long has it been set up? How did you acquire it?

Do you have pictures of whats going on? Whats not working? is just your algae worse or are things dying?

Algae is usually attributed to nitrates and phosphates. Having some isn't the end of the world. Mushrooms are usually pretty hardy. Anemones not as much. I'm not sure what "grass" you have to know what it does, but probably helps get the nitrates out either way. Do you have any fish or inverts yet?