New To Me C130D

JDeLong

This is my first SW Tank... Cycled in about 3 weeks. Tank was moved across town from previous owner so the LR never left water.. I did use new crushed coral for base. The two clowns were added two days ago and seem to be doing good. I only have 6 hermits and three turbo's in the CUC right now, thinking I may need to add a few more hermits... Thoughts?

JD Tank 5-25-2015.jpg

whip

Woohoo another 130!

Welcome JDeLong!

I agree!!! :pbjtime:

Drew and I are but two of several 130 owners that just started our 130's on here recently. We all have been posting progress and getting help from all of the old salts (that have since moved on to bigger RSM's). You'll love it here.

BTW, thanks for posting your tank. We will all be excited to watch the evolution of your build.

JDeLong

I need advice on what if any filter media needs to be used with the 130D. Right now I have the black foam filter above the skimmer pump and one small bag of activated carbon (do I need this) sitting on top of the black sponge filter and that is it... Is that enough? I have plenty of LR (see pic above) When I got the tank from the previous owner he also was only using the black sponge.. he did have a bag of crushed LR in the 3rd section.

I appreciate the welcome!

whip

I am not sure how the "stock" RSM 130D comes, but almost everyone on here has upgraded to Stevie T's Media Basket and did away will all the media that comes stock with the RSM.

If you stay stock (and it seems like your cycle is done), try to see if you can incorporate CPE and Pruigen. The CPE will take the place of the carbon. Both just need to be in the water column pulled by your circulation pump.

As for the rubble? I did that in my AquaPod 12. I'm not really a fan. The concept was sound, but that stuff was a nitrate sink. If I HAD to do it again, I would put it in a mesh bag so I could pull it out, clean the bottom of the compartment, and clean the rubble. It gets nasty and nasty isn't good in this hobby.

Delareef123

Welcome JDeLong, indeed its very cool to have another tank starting up about the same time as the other 130 (myself included)
SteveT Media rack is the way to go. It fits perfect and is really easy to use. I set it up pretty much the way it is explained on the website. Also upgraded to the Tunze 9001 skimmer which was also a sound investment and is also necessary and the media rack WILL NOT work with the stock skimmer so you almost half to buy both.

http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Red-Sea-Max-Media-Basket-RSM3V20.htm

sounds like the Live Rock is bagged for that exact reason. I chose not to add like rock to the filter system just in the main display.

Those are also some cute "tiny" clowns! Keep us posted.

Delareef123

also on the rockscape, I would recommend making more "shelf" areas if you plan on adding corals. This will allow more room for them to spread out and make it easier for placement.

Desmond

Nice to see another 130 d here i have started mine not so long ago also. Still no fish but the mods and corals are growing by the day :)

juniorrocketdad

I'm new to this forum but nice tank just so you know that bta is bleached you have to feed it three times a week or it will die, also it might be a little early in your tank life cycle for an anemone but other than that nice tank

Desmond

Be careful with the anemone it will be like a nuc bomb if it dies. I learned the hard way you need a very mature tank no less than 6 months .Looks good though :) Small pieces of shrimp or mussel mine ate until it started moving around the place and then died :-(

Desmond

Defo bleached Anemone. Be very careful as stated above your tank may not be mature enough foe the anemone. I had one in another tank that was not stable enough that was up 2 months it died and wiped the whole tank out like a nuke bomb. Hope it goes ok for you.Are you sure its a BTA ? Looks more like a long tenticle Anemone i may be wrong.

JDeLong

Thanks for the input.... yes it is most def a GBTA... I'll keep a close eye on it for sure.. I'll post another pic of it after it eats... it bubbles right up after a piece of shrimp....

What do you think about using a phosphate remover... the GHA is a real problem for me right now but the water parameters (PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate are all undetectable)...

JDeLong

I am still seeing enough GHA that I get the toothbrush out about every 3 days... This seems like alot to me.. Am I hurting or helping? What has worked the best for you to control it?

whip

If I see any singular small strands of GHA start growing, I'll put the recommended amount (about 1/3 cup) of PhosGuard in a mesh bag and put it under my filter floss in my media basket.

I also do 15% water changes every week, but I am not sure which is working more. I "think" the water changes.

Regardless, the singular strands of GHA disappear. But this is in my new tank and GHA has never taken hold in there yet.

In my other tank that had a major GHA issue (and a cyano issue starting to take hold too). After going to town with a tooth brush and tweezers, I did the same (PhosGuard and water changes) but my water changes were 30%. The GHA is still barely there after three weeks, but every week it has gotten better.

Pat24601

If I see any singular small strands of GHA start growing, I'll put the recommended amount (about 1/3 cup) of PhosGuard in a mesh bag and put it under my filter floss in my media basket.

I also do 15% water changes every week, but I am not sure which is working more. I "think" the water changes.

Regardless, the singular strands of GHA disappear. But this is in my new tank and GHA has never taken hold in there yet.

In my other tank that had a major GHA issue (and a cyano issue starting to take hold too). After going to town with a tooth brush and tweezers, I did the same (PhosGuard and water changes) but my water changes were 30%. The GHA is still barely there after three weeks, but every week it has gotten better.

This is basically my experience as well.