New tank

Hi I'm grape

hey all I just got a 30g tank and was thinking of starting a marine tank. Never done marine before and was hoping to get one Picasso trigger for the tank and that's it. Eventually I would be upgrading the tank size and moving the Picasso to the larger tank.
So what do you guys think? Trigger or no?
Thanks! :)

mr_tap_water

Hi Grape and welcome to RS.
You say this is your first time into Marines My advice would be to read up as much as possible and take your time, as for your Fish choice I have had these a few times myself a lovely looking fish but you need to be aware They can be a very aggressive Fish especially as they get older so housing this fish with smaller fish or fish similar shape your more unlikely have a problem sooner or later, with terrorising smaller fish or fighting bigger fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

Here a link to a good read on the Picasso trigger

Minimum Tank Size: 180 gallons
Temperament: Aggressive
Reef Compatible: No

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/...G-B-4395&t=1&gclid=COTC3M_V2s8CFQemaQod0-MB5w

mr_tap_water

I found them to be perfectly safe with corals, and with the post above saying reef compatible no is more to do with crustations then anything else from my experience.

Hi I'm grape

Okay so clearly 30g is too small for a trigger. So what fish would be best?
If I plan on getting a fluval 50 filter would that made a difference?
And what should I put inside the tank? Do I need a giant rock or some kind of insert?
Thanks for the advice!

Hi I'm grape

And what should I put inside the tank? Do I need a giant rock or some kind of insert?
Thanks for the advice!
What about a flame hawk fish and 2 clownfish? Would that fit?

cracker

Hi grape, This fish selection is much better . However You have a lot of homework to do before You buy any fish ! Please research filtration, skimmers, lighting , cycling a marine tank etc. Also throw any purchases by us 1st before You spend money. Get several opinions and choose the one that makes the best sense to You. It's a buyers beware out there ! Welcome to RS !

fitofansami

Thanks for the advice!
canister or hang on back filters are not "designed" for marine but freshwater aquariums, anyway you can use it or almost anything that moves water to make it useful if you make some modifications, I used to have a 20 gallons full of triving marine life with almost anything but 2 water circulation pumps and a radion g3 light, but it took me 4 years of small problems and all kind of equipment passing downthere in the sump till I decided to start removing one by one and see how it goes, I think that maturity in the marine aquarium is more important than almost anything else, but im beating around the bush, my advice: not to much sand, around 2 inches downthere, try to drill the tank and use a 5 or 10g sump so you send the water there and back up with a pump, and you use the sump to put whatever you decide, for 20gallons and a small fish you dont really need an skimmer, you need to let it cycle until your nitrates are under control, and get some good live rock for that, dont go crazy trying to add 1 or 2lb per gallon as everyone says, just put 2 big and porous ones around and wait, you can always pee on the water if you wanna do it to add a carbon source and make the cycle go faster but its up to you [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

Hi I'm grape

Did a little research and so I was thinking of using an ugf with mid-sized substrate
Is that the right stuff?
What are the parts I need for the ugf? Fito up there said something about a sump but I really don't know what that is?
And don't I need something for the clownfish to swim in/around. Like a big rock with holes or little tubes?
And why does lighting matter? Does it have to be specific or can I just get any of the kids that fit the tank from Petco?

Thanks for your help!

fitofansami

light depends if u wanna have an anemone for your clownfish or not, for example a long tentacle anemone will require a good light to thrive if you re not planning to feed her, but you should plan all this before you start the project, even the salt used is diferent for corals or fish only aquarium, a sump is a place where you can put all the "machines" in case you need them, its just a small aquarium downthere where the water goes down and go back to the display aquarium thats why I was talking about drilling your main tank, anyway there are hundreds of options and maybe you should do some research and then do specific questions, I know you already did specific questions but looks like youre not read a lot before asked them.

Hi I'm grape

So I get hang on filters are more for freshwater but why not the hanging overflow box with the 3parts inside the box?

Hi I'm grape

Because an overflow box is just a way to get the tank water into the sump. I get it now

Hi I'm grape

So what goes into the sump?
I've been looking at these pictures and they have a big green blob in the middle section? What is that?
Is there a safe way to drill my tank? Like so I don't crack it or anything?

fitofansami

will be better to check if some store could make the drilling for you, in my case I bought the diamond hole saw for 20 bucks here in Canada but in my experience only drilled 3 aquariums and broke one of them in the process (the thinner the glass the worst), but in a small 30gallons for sure you can move it if some store could drill and install the bulkhead in the hole so you can plumb it to the sump, the basic sum has 3 baffles on it one principal chamber where the water goes in and usually is the place for the skimmer, a central section for things like reactors filters or whatever you need and the last section is where the return pump goes with a tricky position of the dividers before it so no bubbles pass to the return section, theres a lot of info around I did make all of this with acrylics pieces that I had around but its up to you if youre not an diy man this is an expensive hobbie even for the simplest aquarium

Hi I'm grape

I actually don't even think my tank is for fish. It's 20tallx20longx20deep with a plastic bottom so I don't even think it'll hold al the water

Hi I'm grape

I actually don't even think my tank is for fish. It's 20tallx20longx20deep with a plastic bottom so I don't even think it'll hold al the water

But I do have a 55g tank I've been using for my goldfish. (I had 1 goldfish in a 5g tank when I was in my dorm but he got way too big and sick so I upgraded to the 55g when I moved out of the dorm and added a few more goldfish bc I thought he was lonely... he's alive still and happy in the 55g.) maybe eventually when that tank is empty I'll use it for a marine tank and get all the fancy stuff (granted I know 55 is barely in the fancy range of marine tanks)