New Tank Cycle questions

Ceviche

Hello all;

I have a new oceanic biocube 29 hqi and I am about to start this adventure hopefully the right way.

This is what I have purchase and put in the tank so far:

1. 25 gls of Petco Real ocean Water - Here is the link: Petco Real Ocean Water at PETCO

2. 40 lbs of fiji pink arag-live sand

3. 10 lbs of live rock ( I will ad more later from my existing redsea max 250 tank)

My question to you guys is how should I cycle my tank? Will the real ocean water speed up the process? Should I wait about three days and put a couple of damsels? How long do you think the cycle last?

I truly appreciate all the help that you can provide.

Thanks.

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
only way to tell is to put it all in the tank, let it settle for 24 hrs, and add something to provide an ammonia source. let it sit a week and test. The proof is in the pudding as the saying goes.

theplantman

Do not do damsels unless those are the fish you want in the tank. Add sand, live rock and water, put a piece of uncooked shrimp in the tank and let it decompose. Ammonia levels should star to jump in 2-3 days and will rise for about 2 weeks while your nitrogen cycle proceeds. If you have ample already cured live rock (not dry rock) you will cycle in as little as two weeks, if the rock is not cured it could take 4 weeks due to continuous breakdown od dead material in the rock.

The real ocean water will not cycle you quicker, the bacteria you want is in the rock for the most part and secondary in the sand bed. I would recommend at least 20-25lbs of live rock for that tank.

Your best bet is to use R/O water and salt mix and make your own water, it will be cheaper in the long run especially since in a tank that small, you will want to do a 50% water change at the end of the cycle and I would recommend a 3-5 gallon per week water change if you are doing a reef tank to control nutrients and for that matter replenish trace elements without having to dose.

Hope this helps.

theplantman

Also, just read the product info.....be very suspicious it says low phosphate and low nutrient........translation to me is future algae problem!!!!

Ceviche

Also, just read the product info.....be very suspicious it says low phosphate and low nutrient........translation to me is future algae problem!!!!

Are you refering to the petco water? I read the reviews and everyone was raving about it. Or is it just marketing?

theplantman

yep, referring to the petco water. If you were to poll all the members in this forum, this is just a guess but I would say better than 90% mix their own saltwater and if they don't they may pull it directly from the ocean themselves and the better part of those people have RO/DI units to make their own top off water and r/o water for water changes.

Look at it this way, 10 gallons of this stuff costs $25, you will need 30 gallons to start your tank that's $75.00. Now lets say you do a 8% water change per week, that's another $25 per month for water changes. That's 120 gallons the first year. Then you have to buy RO/DI water for top offs because you cannot replace evaporated water with salt water or your salinity will climb out of safe range. i'm not sure how much that is, guessing lets say $2 per gallon and you can figure on the low side 1 gallon per week. So that's another 10 bucks per month. So for petco water, you will be spending $495.00 the first year. Plus the gas you will use constantly running to PETCO.

RO/DI unit = 150 bucks
200gallon of premium salt mix $100 on the high end
Small mixing pump/heater/5gallon bucket = $50.00

that's $300.00 for the first year.

This will be phosphate/nutrient (which is nitrites and nitrates) free water. Much better for your reef and much much cheaper in the long run. example 2nd year, 495 bucks at petco 2nd year doing it yourself $150. for salt and replacement R/O filters

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
yep, referring to the petco water. If you were to poll all the members in this forum, this is just a guess but I would say better than 90% mix their own saltwater and if they don't they may pull it directly from the ocean themselves and the better part of those people have RO/DI units to make their own top off water and r/o water for water changes.

Look at it this way, 10 gallons of this stuff costs $25, you will need 30 gallons to start your tank that's $75.00. Now lets say you do a 8% water change per week, that's another $25 per month for water changes. That's 120 gallons the first year. Then you have to buy RO/DI water for top offs because you cannot replace evaporated water with salt water or your salinity will climb out of safe range. i'm not sure how much that is, guessing lets say $2 per gallon and you can figure on the low side 1 gallon per week. So that's another 10 bucks per month. So for petco water, you will be spending $495.00 the first year. Plus the gas you will use constantly running to PETCO.

RO/DI unit = 150 bucks

This will be phosphate/nutrient (which is nitrites and nitrates) free water. Much better for your reef and much much cheaper in the long run. example 2nd year, 495 bucks at petco 2nd year doing it yourself $150. for salt and replacement R/O filters

+1^ DITTO
My opinion is: MIX IT YOURSELF....Don't trust anyone to mix your water, it's YOUR FISH & consist quality should be your goal. :)

Ceviche

RO/DI unit = 150 bucks

Where can I get an RO/DI unit? Is it too difficult to install?

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
BRS 4 Stage Value PLUS RO/DI System - 75GPD - Bulk Reef Supply

less than 200 bucks, but will make all the RO/DI water you need, easy to use. Can be temporarily attached to your faucet, permanantly attached to your faucet, or temporarily attached to any standard garden hose type fitting. I have mine on a splitter with my cold water side of the washing machine water faucets. One switch and i can turn on the RO/DI easily. The waste water tube goes down the same drain as my washing machine water, the blue tube(color coded to be easy to recognize) provides RO/DI. The built in TDS meter even helps you figure out when to change out components. I own this unit, and its worth EVERY PENNY. I used to fight algae kicking and screaming, because i used treated tap water. Now i mix my own SW with Instant Ocean Sea Salt Mix and i make my own Top off water with my RO/DI. Reef crystals or regular IO, 1/2 cup to 1gal of water mixes out to 30ppm. I always check with my refractometer, but its usually really close. I mix 5g at a time, with a heater and powerhead in the bucket, 24hrs to mix/heat, and its ready to use.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Where can I get an RO/DI unit? Is it too difficult to install?

They are easy to set up. I bought mine from Bulk Reef Supply. It's a 5-Stage RO-Di and I set it up in a spare bathtub so if it gets forgotten about (LOL!) I don't have a flooded floor ;)
299D0D35-D43A-42ED-B075-50618615C56C-9936-000010F6D589A02F_zpsa699295b.jpg
[/IMG]

blackwater

agree with theplantman. take it slow, use rodi, cycle with deli shrimp not live fish(IMHO) and test your water. i'd add also think about getting a refractometer (my spelling could be off) far more reliable than hydrometer's.