New tank. Bit confused

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
you know... reading a bit about Red Sea's "Live Sand" I am wondering...

see link below... that says...
inoculated with ‘laboratory-engineered’ bacteria" for an Instant Cycle...

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/10/25/red-sea-reef-base-live-brings-instant-cycling-neat-substrate/

the more I read... about their Live Sand... I think it is related... to this element & masking your test results

All will be fine... just don't worry about the readings ... and wait a couple more weeks with the rotting shrimp, is what I would do...

hope this helps

FrootStick

Hmmmm ok. Could be hey.
As said mate, I don't intend on doing anything for another 3 weeks anyway until I get home from work. We will see how we go then. That would be 4 1/2 weeks with live rock and 3 1/2 weeks with the shrimp.

DaveK

you know... reading a bit about Red Sea's "Live Sand" I am wondering...

see link below... that says...
inoculated with ‘laboratory-engineered’ bacteria" for an Instant Cycle...

http://reefbuilders.com/2013/10/25/red-sea-reef-base-live-brings-instant-cycling-neat-substrate/

the more I read... about their Live Sand... I think it is related... to this element & masking your test results

All will be fine... just don't worry about the readings ... and wait a couple more weeks with the rotting shrimp, is what I would do...

hope this helps

This is the sort of thing where your reading a press release. Over the years, I have seen so many "instant cycle" products that I have lost count. I typically use a word that can't be used on a family oriented forum like RS to describe them. You are free to fill in your own.

These products may give you a slight decrease in cycle time, but nothing beats just waiting the necessary time.

Desmond

Hmmmm ok. Could be hey.
As said mate, I don't intend on doing anything for another 3 weeks anyway until I get home from work. We will see how we go then. That would be 4 1/2 weeks with live rock and 3 1/2 weeks with the shrimp.
I think when you are back you can easily add a cuc tank. I have read about Red Sea LS and allot of people never get any readings just like yorself. I had the same on my nano tank with live sand and rock. Look forward to seeing your tank with some stocks :) Any idea as to what types of corals and stock you are going to have ?

FrootStick

Hey mate. Just a mixed reef mate like I already have but bigger. Going from a 2ft to 4ft tank. Need to do a bit of research on dosing and feeding before branching out and going to the extremes haha

FrootStick

Haha me either, that's why I have a lot to read in the near future. But for now. Get this tank cycled and slowly move my stock over.

FrootStick

Hey guys.
Just an update on my situation.
So had to take the shrimp out. The mrs said it was stinking the house out haha.
So never got an ammonia reading, now nitrite and nitrate are also reading 0 and I did do a water change?????
Also had a mass bloom of brown hair algae over the past week.

Blue Space

It doesn't matter that you removed the shrimp now. The cycle has started. Don't do water changes yet. Run some carbon to help with the smell. Don't bother testing until day 30 or so... watch for the nitrates to spike and then start coming down. That's when you should do a nice sized, partial water change and add your first victim... i mean pet. :D

FrootStick

By the time I get home from work it would have been 33 days since adding water and live rock.
Just curious about his algae now.