NEW RSM250......and it begins!

Well I've been out of the hobby for far too long and it looks like I've got the bug again.

My first project is with the RSM250. It's a little smaller than I'd like so I'm using this to get my feet wet again.......or hands, floor etc. haha.

The tank is being dropped off on Sunday and I'll be adding live rock/sand and water same day.

Equipment as of right now:
RSM 250 (used)
Deltec 500 skimmer (currently on route/new)
2 x Vortech MP10w ES (new)
1 x Apex gold (6 months old, purchased used for $600!)

Looking to add a Neptune feeder and doser as well as the Neptune lunar cycle module and battery backups. For now I'm going to give the bank account a rest while the tank cycles.

For live rock I managed to be at the right place (canreef classifieds) at the right time (the moment a local posted 75lb of live rock for a dollar a pound!). I did a thorough inspection for pests and came up with nothing alarming. The rocks covered in coralline growth, it was a real steal of a deal! I've found a couple harmless crabs, snails and other stow always. Should have about a third of a clean up crew.

My current vision for the tank is a hard/soft coral mix which may be a little difficult with space restraints. You all have some great examples of how to do it so I'm not too concerned.

I'll update the tread as it progresses!

fb0f3fa9f509c3f776020edbb0d8eeb2.jpg
8530a4a0a02b07e6add9ef3d28c91430.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:yeehoo: Cheers for starting a tank thread! :yeehoo:
Don't know how I missed it, but today I found it :winky:
Looking forward to seeing your rockscape & waiting out your cycle to see it come to life.
RSM 250 is a great tank, I do wish it was a tad bit bigger like you said tho. :D I L:heart:VE mine anyway! :heart:
If you want to change to a more personal thread name, PM any RS staff member....we'd be super happy to do that for you. :)
Very best wishes....:cruiser:

Thanks for the likes and replies!

It's been a week since I added water, live rock!

I'm not too pleased with the right side of the tank. It was pieced together with about 8 rocks unlike the three rocks on the left side. I think I got the pieces flowing together for the most part. It's a little difficult to see how the rock protrudes to build shelves but I think it will all come together once the coral starts coming in.

Ammonia and nitrite are hovering at 0 while nitrate is between 5-10. Just did a quick water change today and will be performing another in two days. I prefer to do frequent 5% water changes rather than a weekly 10% until the tanks fully cycled.

I was monitoring the stowaway livestock (from the LR) for about 3 days and then added 3 peppermint shrimp who all seem to be acclimating nicely. I added 10 hermit crabs and 5 snails the day after. They have all survived the last 4 days and seem to be quite active.

I've got the apex unit along with vortechs all tuned in and just today past the deltec skimmers break-in period. It's generating some really nice and dry skimmate. I'm also able to close the cover now which is a bonus!

Here are some pics from today-ish!

96ad28b3d8f528360140f76062e6f827.jpg
31e786f107da2af698b43dd81db8b695.jpg
18d956c7a57942f9a84400e49a05537a.jpg
54d36bb14514b519de4160fd5b121140.jpg
3cc1b5e00e2d466b694242bd5f825834.jpg
7e86ec046fc0647a0c8e5e010744783f.jpg

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Very pretty rockscape!! :yeehoo:
Be very hesitate to add anything living to your tank....New tank nitrous cycle takes about 4 to 8 weeks before the system is ready for life. Fish & invertebrates are not likely to survive high ammonia & nitrite levels. Ammonia & nitrite should start to rise before they zero back out.
image.jpeg
It is a long wait with an empty tank but better chance of nothing dying if you wait.
Do you have your own test kits for basic SW (ammonia, nitrite & nitrate)?

The apex unit has ORP, PH and salinity probes and I have a test kit. I had about 30gallons of water from the previous tank that the live rock sat in with circulation, heat and minimal light for roughly 2 weeks. I don't suspect I'll be seeing too much for ammonia or nitrite spikes.

I'll be keeping a close eye on it tho!

As an aside, with my 10ppm nitrate jump (2 days ago it was zero) it is possible that I may have taken a ride in the Delorean to the end of my cycle. Fingers are crossed but weary. I'm no Marty mc'fly.........here's to hoping!

As an aside, with my 10ppm nitrate jump (2 days ago it was zero) it is possible that I may have taken a ride in the Delorean to the end of my cycle. Fingers are crossed but weary. I'm no Marty mc'fly.........here's to hoping!

Nice to see an update and like your scape!!! [emoji106] [emoji122] [emoji6] Keep 'em coming... [emoji4]

Sent from my Xperia Z3

Just a quick update!

Today I added 4 sand sifting snails and 1 royal gamma basset.

The snails are amazing! In all my years of owning tanks I've never had them. The minute they hit the sand they disappeared, it was very cool to watch.

The royal gamma has been tearing around exploring his new home. He's found a cave and it looks like that's where he'll be headed if he's having some down time.

Ive been having a hard time spotting any of the 3 peppermint shrimp and was growing concerned they may have bit the bullet. I couldn't find them anywhere on Saturday but I did notice there was still a ton of tiny aptasia on 2 specific rocks. This morning I came in and they are all completely wiped out. I'm assuming the shrimp are hold up inside one of three caves that I'm unable to see into.

All other inhabitants 11 hermit crabs, 5 snails are still accounted for and seem to be quite happy.

Couple quick pictures (I need to buy a magnet glass cleaner!)

a9acad629f97763ec11184a9e80526f9.jpg
fed2b6f335ab3f3a8d40c0a391908689.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
peppermints are often nocturnal, I see my cleaner shrimp all the time, but my peppermints I seldom see... - if they are eating the aiptasia congrats ! :clink:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
They do look alike, I think that is a nice id Di - having never had either.. I had to go back & forth :nessie: what was the biggest key for you that made you tell the difference.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Bi-...ChMItOudsMrAyAIVhyyICh2kHApU&biw=1404&bih=688

https://www.google.com/search?q=Roy...ChMItsK_oMrAyAIVBZWICh12Gw0p&biw=1404&bih=688
The very distinctive straight line separating the two colors. And the clear fins of the dottyback. The purpleish-pink half of a Royal Gramma mixes with the yellow and there's not a straight line division of color. :)

Well.......the bicolor dottyback is out and a pair of clowns have replaced him. A little frustrating but these things will happen.

Had to move the rock around and will prob spend the next couple days getting it back to how I'd like it. I'll update with some tank pics tomorrow!

9a4ac86b3c43613a3e84c6f07d4cac55.jpg

I can't remember the brand, I'll check next time I'm at the lfs.

It was 4 bags. 2xblack 1xmixed 1xwhite