New RSM with Tang problem

Mfisheruscg

Hello all. New to the forum and back into the hobby. I just purchased a used RSM 250 and have been out of the hobby for close to 10 years. So the tank I purchased came with a scopas tang and he has some pretty bad fin rot on his dorsal. I have started feeding him green algae and he does seem comfortable in the tank now. I did a test of water and ammonia Nitrites and Nitrates were all zero. PH was good as well. any and all recommendation would be greatly appreciated!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members

Start a tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along, we love pics :nessie:

This RS sub-forum may have some help with the tang
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forum/index.php?forums/fish-diseases-treatments.155/

DaveK

For now keep an eye on it.

If the problem gets worse, and you feel you need to treat the fish, set up a quarantine tank and treat with antibiotics. Never add meds to treat a fish disease to the main display tank.

Just so you know where you stand, a scopas tang requires a tank size of about double the size of your RSM 250. Long term, your going to need to get a much larger tank for it, or find a new home for it.

Mfisheruscg

Thank you. I read it needed a 100 gallon plus tank for tangs but it came with the tank. I am not a big fan of it I want more color but also don't want to give it some one with a problem either. I added a pic of the tang. How would treat and what would you use? I was told the water has been running for 6 months and there are lot of things I have to repair on the tank. The skimmer had an air stone and was told he upgraded the skimmer. Every chamber had poly fill in it and the 600gph was clogged with the stuff the other pump is 100 gph and the hood has skewer holding it. All new stuff has been ordered and plan on doing reef. But overall I am very happy with the tank just wish the seller was honest with me and could of had the stuff before I picked it up. Still got a great deal. Thanks again for the help

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20

DaveK

It also looks like the fish has some Head and Lateral Line Erosion (HLLE). Note how the lateral line looks like a white line. It should be almost invisible. Here is a link about the condition (offsite) - http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/hlleorlledisease/a/Head-And-Lateral-Line-Erosion.htm There isn't too much you can do about it, other than maintaining high quality water conditions, and good feeding of the fish. It's not too bad, so the fish may recover.