New RSM owner

alphasierra

when i take my specific gravity, i get different readings from different parts of tank is that normal, the are from 1.019 to 1.024, it all depends on were i take the sample from

mweber21,

I also experienced this. I tried turning off all the pumps and waited a few minutes. The needle then stabilized and gave me a constant reading no matter where it was placed in the tank.

I use this product from aqua medic...
Salinity and Specific Gravity Measurement for aquariums - Aqua Medic

but they also produce a refractometer too...
Refractometer - Accurate salt measurement with no fuss - Aqua Medic

Hope this helps

AS

mweber21

alphasierra,
thanks for your help, what i did was redirected the jets to be in different directions and got a steady reading all around the tank,

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
mweber21 - I have a feeling you may have never received a welcome to Reef Sanctuary or the RSM Club. Possibly none of us were aware you had an RSM when you first stopped in. Anyway, better late than never:

:welcomera

My apologies.

mweber21

my specific gravity is 1.022, is that too low, i already have live cured rock in my tank, or should i raise it, any help would be appreciated

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
mweber21 - 1.022 is low yes. Check out this link:

Water Parameters

I'm doubtful that it's caused any major harm, since I ran mine at 1.023 for a few months, but I'd try to get it up higher. Do not add salt crystals to the tank - do it by working your way up to 1.025-1.026 with increased salinity for the next few water changes. Having undissolved salt land on any corals or other life in the tank is not a good thing. Are you testing with a hydrometer or refractometer? The plastic hydrometers aren't the most accurate thing to use.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
mweber21 - I'd really advise getting a refractometer. I had the Red Sea hydrometer too, and like all of that type, they are OK for a start, but aren't the most dependable for getting accurate and dependable results. The float can be affected by temperature and bubbles and current. The refractometers are much more accuarate and are quick & easy to use. I think that a refractometer is one of the first things that most people upgrade. They aren't really very expensive and are a good investment. Check around for prices - this is just one as an example:

Refractometer

I think that's the one that I got shortly after setting up my RSM.

One of the reviews:

"I purchased this refractometer from ...... I couldn't live without it now. It's easy to use. I have found that the hydrometer can be off by as much as .004... a big difference if you are keeping some invertebrates. I highly recommend this to add to your reef equipment. "

So, your salinity might actually be higher, or lower, than what you're getting with the hydrometer.

mweber21

do the hydrometers usually read low, i was thinking of doing a little water change tonight, and the water i am putting in has a salinity of 1.025 its about 3 gallons i have, is that good to start.

wazzifam

do the hydrometers usually read low, i was thinking of doing a little water change tonight, and the water i am putting in has a salinity of 1.025 its about 3 gallons i have, is that good to start.

Mine is always off!! whats the salinity of the tank water?

wazzifam

I personally think it is fine. I have a low salinity right now as well due to a stupid mistake. So im doing larger waterchanges to get mine back up. it was 1.027 forever then one day I messed up and it dropped to 1.019. luckily everything isnt dead. Its not happy though by any means. Over the last 2weeks I have done a few large volume water changes and it has gone up ever so slowly to 1.022.

So I think and I am not an expert here, that 3 gallons will not be bad. its gonna be a slow increase. you dont wanna shock everything like ive done.

This is a great place to learn. People are great. but Please dont just do the change yet, wait till another person answers you to confirm or otherwise.

mweber21

Wazzifam,
thanks for your help, the only thing i have in my tank is primed cured live rock and were i bought it from said the salinity of 1.022 is an ok level. That was the salinity before i bought the rock. but i think i will do little water changes every 3 or 4 days to get salinity up to 1.026, i will not put fish in it till i get it a little higher, but i think its ok if a put some cleaner crews in.

MatthewJ

That should be okay, although I think 1.026 is a little higher than often suggested. I'm pretty new to this, but I shoot for 1.025 and prefer lower to higher. the SG is going to fluctuate a bit anyway from day to day. With an automatic top-off system it would remain more consistent.