New RSM 130D Single Pump Flow Question

Jetmart

I have a newer RSM 130D with the single pump upgrade. With one pump you only have one choice where to point the outflow eyelet. Currently I have it pointed just below the surface of the water to keep the surface turbulent. I am starting to get a bit of cyano on the sand bed in areas behind my LR where there would be less flow. Where do others with only the single pump have their pump pointed? The design should be with on pump but to outflow eyelets for better distribution. Anyone have experience with this?

melvis

Agree with wscttwolfe, that's exactly what I did on my C130 that only has one outlet.

I'm running an MP10 and have it just about half way up on left side of tank and about two inches in from front. They're powerful beasts but I still notice some dirty sand areas and have been looking at modding the outlet to add two nozzles on some type of flexi pipe to be able to create a bit more flow.

This is before I done some aquascaping but you get the jist.

ECF2092F-BEE2-4E7E-847A-C67CF14D7D57_zpsmdelopjn.jpg

It's that or stump up £215 for the Gyre that seems to be growing in popularity.

How long have you had tank set up? I only ask as I went through a cyano outbreak at about 5 months, cleared it up by black out for 5 days but I didn't have any coral then.

Hope that helps.

Jetmart

My tank has only been up for 3 months. My cyano problem is not huge. I just notice the only place I have it is on the down flow side of the LR an sand.

I wondered about T-ing off the single pump supplied in the sump area and have two eyelets. One pointed high and on low.

melvis

I had a small bit of cyano in one corner on the sand and within two weeks it was more widespread, forcing the blackout.

That's what I'm thinking of doing as I've definitely got some dead spots.

Hope it works out.

reefer gladness

I had to run two MP-10's on my RSM 130 to eliminate the dead spots.

When I received the first MP-10 and turned it on a huge cloud of detritus was lifted off the rocks. I got the second one a week later to play around with the other programmable modes, but what surprised me was the equally huge cloud of detritus when I turned on the second MP-10.

I would not expect the Maxpect gyre to outperform the MP-10, it's creating laminar flow so the opposite side of the rock that isn't getting flow will still accumulate detritus. And I don't think you can get the same effects with two gyres as you would from two MP-10s.

Don't be fooled by the Maxpect advertising spiel showing the flow characteristics of 'standard' propeller pumps. The Vortech MP's are not 'standard', MP series pumps create a huge undertow pulling water toward the pump that's not reflected at all in the Maxspect advertising.

melvis

:woohoo:Looks like another MP10 is in order then but that probably means shoes for the missus too! lol