New Reef Aquarium

George Duncan

Hi - thinking of getting my 1st 'Reef' set up - initial thought was the 130d BUT fell in love with the 250 - would this be too much for my 1st go at the hobby ??

Reactions: SPR

Uncle99

No, bigger water is easier because it is more stable.
More expensive to maintain though...

SPR

Hi George and welcome to Reef Sanctuary!

The 250 has a larger water volume and with marine systems you need to keep the parameters stable such as alkalinity etc., and the more volume of water the easier it is. With smaller volumes you can get quick changes which isn’t good.

Infact just get the 650 and be done with it! Lol

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My 1st tank was a RSM 130D, I started with it to see if I could have success... 34 gallon, then upgraded to the RSM 250 66 gallon, in hindsight I would have started with the RSM 250.

:rbwwelc:to RS !

George Duncan

Thats what im thinking ! - skip the 130d and jump into the RSM 250, its about right for size of my room

What 'living rock' would you suggest, and how much should i put in - and soft corals, and list of pos suggestions plz ?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
On live rock ... I went with around 66 pounds one pound per gallon, I like a more open look... (maybe 35 kg) or up to 50 kg - you can save some $$$ by going with s combo of dry rock & LR - I have done both & both work... my 130D all LR Tonga Branch $$$, my 250 20% LR and 80% dry rock

lots great soft coral choices (my favorites) ... zoas, torch, hammer, duncans, acans, so many...

check out this site & look for level I & II care levels
https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/caresheets