HELP! New owner needs advice.

Phil1970

Hi,
I've recently purchased a 2 year old mini reef in a red sea max 130D.
The previous owner was struggling with work etc to keep on top of cleaning etc.
The reef is in good health the fish nd various animals, cleaner shrimps, turbo snails, hermit crab, starfish nd more.
However, I seem to have a lot of algae especially on the sand, the previous owner said he's had the problem since he changed water supplier and that all I need to do is suck it up when doing a water change nd replace the sand, however I thought the whole point was for it to be self cleaning nd I didn't want to disturb the things living in the sand (although there isn't much depth to the sand base) - any ideas?
Also the smoked glass at the back of the tank hasn't been ckeaned in over 6 months, there is a lot of growth of various things - should I clean it or just leave it, everything seems really happy nd I don't wanna mess it up but the growth at the bottom of the glass is moving to the sand.
If anyone can spare a few minutes to reply with any ideas I'd be very grateful.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Posting some pics will help... I would guess in a newly acquired tank where everything seems real happy... I would go slow, watch & learn... I would... start with weekly water changes 15%, new bulbs if you don't know how old the current ones are and get some fresh chemical filtration going like running a bag 11.74 oz ChemiPure Elite (gfo & carbon) and a 100 ml had of Purigen. Also maybe add some more snails... how many do you have? In an established tank with algae, I would have about 1 per gallon.

Also if your not already, use rodi sw & rodi topoff water, and start feeding frozen - but a Huge key is to not overfeed - hope this helps... lots of members here can help the above info... imo would be a good starting place :nessie:

Phil1970

welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Posting some pics will help... I would guess in a newly acquired tank where everything seems real happy... I would go slow, watch & learn... I would... start with weekly water changes 15%, new bulbs if you don't know how old the current ones are and get some fresh chemical filtration going like running a bag 11.74 oz ChemiPure Elite (gfo & carbon) and a 100 ml had of Purigen. Also maybe add some more snails... how many do you have? In an established tank with algae, I would have about 1 per gallon.

Also if your not already, use rodi sw & rodi topoff water, and start feeding frozen - but a Huge key is to not overfeed - hope this helps... lots of members here can help the above info... imo would be a good starting place :nessie:

Hey,
Thanks for the advice - I'm going to clean the back office equipment, new filters are on order too - not sure if I should clean the back glass in tank - I've several baby starfish, snails and the like - and worried about disturbing it too much but it is green algae thicker at the bottom bit like moss but not that thick (if that makes sense) and about 30 white blobs, don't know what they are..
I think more critters would help and I'm researching it now - any thoughts?
I have 5 snails - not sure I'd want 1 per gallon in my 130l tank that's about 28 snails
Many thanks.

Phil1970

how recently? and how long has it been running at your home?

keep em alive@home

Only had a week in home but speaking to previous owner he's had a problem with it for awhile - rather than sucking it out (with sand and I'd guess critters) I'd appreciate advice on other ideas to solve the problem.
Thanks

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
These are my favorite snails... Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerites, Margarita, Nassarius and Mexican Turbos

a blue tux urchin is also a member of me cuc - I like crabs, but don't have any... they eat snails

an excess of algae is related to an excess of nutrients - with dedicated husbandry you will get it back in shape in a few months :clink:

Phil1970

These are my favorite snails... Asterea, Trochus, Cerith, Nerites, Margarita, Nassarius and Mexican Turbos

a blue tux urchin is also a member of me cuc - I like crabs, but don't have any... they eat snails

an excess of algae is related to an excess of nutrients - with dedicated husbandry you will get it back in shape in a few months :clink:

Hey,
Thanks that's sound advice, it bloomed (I've been reading!) after I'd done a 25l water change - I tested left over and it was high in phosphate which could also have upset the balance, I've found another supplier who has low phosphate salt water so I'm going to clean as much as possible, replace and increase the sand and do another 25l water change, replace filters except bio filter and add another crab nd a snail or two and possibly a tait fish.
I'm hoping it'll help.

Phil1970

The previous owner did say he didn't have time to keep up maintenance so with basic care the issues you have will disappear. I have 6 tutbo snails, a gobie, and a mutant blenny and have zero visable algea.

keep em alive@home
Hi thanks for advice, dunno if ya can read my last post but I'm going to clean and add another crab and a snail or two and perhaps a tait fish along with low phosphate salt water I'm hoping that'll help.