new long tentacle anemone

phantom2991

had a long tentacle anemone for a few days now. today it isnt really extending its tentacles out, it just has them kinda stuck to its body. he is anchored though and he ate a ball of brine shrimp yesterday. is this normal or should i be worried? the first day i had him, he was fully extended and beautiful.

mcentire1123

Nano-Reefer
PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
wel21_e0.gif

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

no nems here, but sure some member will know... tell us about your tank :dance:

phantom2991

100 gal, 2 canister filters- 1000 L/H, UV sterilizer 36W, temp stays pretty steady at 79.5 degrees F PH totally neutral, ammonia 0 and nitrates are at 0. completely new to this but trying my best!!

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
How long has this tank been set up ? Does the Anemone react to the touch ? Is it sticky ? What type of lighting are you using and how many watts ?
Anemones are very sensitive to sudden changes so maintaining proper water chemistry and strong lighting is essential for long term success.

phantom2991

the tank has been up for about 2 weeks now. he is sticky and he has been eating brine shrimp from a syringe with me prob. the lighting is a 48" 4 ft T5 HO Lighting Aquarium Light Hood Marine Reef Timer 324W 6x 54W Lamps.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
the tank has been up for about 2 weeks now. he is sticky and he has been eating brine shrimp from a syringe with me prob. the lighting is a 48" 4 ft T5 HO Lighting Aquarium Light Hood Marine Reef Timer 324W 6x 54W Lamps.

Hosting anemones are some of the most difficult animals to keep long term in captivity and don't do very well in new setups, keep a close eye on those parameters particularly the nitrate levels especially since your using canister filters instead of a good skimmer. Also the lighting you have for that tank size isn't strong enough for the LTA, they usually stay on the SB and don't travel up the rockwork to be closer to the light like other Anemones.