New huge volume project, comments please!

r2d2

Hi all, friend of mine asked me to help him with a huge project he has in mind. As a little background and before you think we are crazy we both have had SW tanks in present and past, so we know all the implications of this idea.

Basically he wants a FO tank, large enough to get in with a snorkel. As simple as that :cool:

We were thinking in a 10ft x 10ft base, with 6ft height aprox. That's about 4,700 gal capacity tank!!! Of course effective water volume will be less than that.

We are in the process of getting shape to the idea and try to quote initial investment.

I was thinking in to build it like a concrete box with one or two large windows, maybe acrylic. That will need a waterproof surface, salt water resistant and safe for fish and inverts.

Lighting will be very simple, just for fish display, probably LED to keep heat under control. A lot of recirculating pumps and a large pump to move water through filters in an adyacent room. (Next to the room he wants to use for this tank there is a machinery room for pool so we will had access to energy and water.

Heat will be another issue to control as summer gets too hot in this area, so maybe an AC for that room will be the best.

So, what do you think?

Greetings!

reefle

That sounds like my dream tank too!

I think an all acrylic tank would be the best though. Something that big should be shared at every angle though I can see it adding a lot to the cost. but if he has the money to undertake such a big investment I don't think it should be that much of a problem.

I'm reallllyyy hoping this actually comes true haha

Snid

Heh... I'd start with contacting nearby zoos with aquariums and other professional aquariums to see how they handle massive volumes of water like that for display.

Are you thinking indoor or outdoor tank? If indoor, then you need to consider the amount of evaporation/humidity a tank that size would have. I already notice a difference in humidity when I go down into my basement where I have a small 55 gallon tank. I imagine the humidity of a heated 4,700 gallon tank would be quite excessive, so the room it would be in would have to be equipped like an indoor hot tub/sauna probably and have a lot of mold resistant materials that repel moisture.

I think you'll find lighting to be more difficult than you anticipate, even for FO. I suspect that LEDs won't be enough. Light penetration through water has dramatic fall off, and at 6 feet it will be very, very dark at the bottom with any standard lighting used for typical tanks. It's quite complicated figuring out the exact lighting needed at such a depth because the clarity of the water will determine lights ability to penetrate deeper. A professional aquarium will probably be able to share what they use.

r2d2

Thanks. Tank will be indoors and in this area cooling is more critical than heating, that's why an air conditioner for that room will be necessary; although some heating will be needed during some winter days.
Does any one has a link or info about structural needs for a project like this? It might be build just as a pool right? Does tiles are saltwater proof?

You can use tile but with some limits. It needs to be free of heavy metals so glass is probably your best bet. Also the mortar has to be specific for supporting aquatic life or you can end up leaching minerals and metals or have too much lime which can lead to water quality issues. They make concrete specific for ponds that are ph balanced. I think quickrete makes one but I'd skip the general hardware stores and go straight to a pond builder to make sure you get the right stuff. As far as structure goes, you're going to need lots of steel, and an experienced welder. I don't think you want to build it like a pool because you'll need a ton of concrete and really thick walls. I guess it depends on the space you're going to put it in but my $.02 would be to construct the front panel and both sides out of acrylic or possibly glass and the back and floor can be concrete/tile. Please post some pics of the space and the concept

DaveK

There have been a few projects where people buile realy large tanks, so it's doable, if very expensive.

I would take a look at what the large public aquariums are doing for their large display tanks.

I think your going to need al lot more than just air conditioning. Considering your location, you'll likely need a whole tank cooling system.

Also, consider all the things like making water changes. Such systems need large pumps and plumbing just to support that.

You might want an aquarium service to maintain it. It might get old, fast, having to dive in the tank to clean it.

Snid

Here... Check this out. It will give you a general idea of what you might be in for. ;)

[video=youtube;xZ1B9s9j0Is]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ1B9s9j0Is[/video]

r2d2

Wow, thanks Snid, that's a very close idea of what my friend wants. But definitely I think he is not so conscious about total cost and manly about maintenance routines.
A lot of planning and quoting still coming for this project.
Thanks all, I'll keep you posted.

Steve L

Sounds like it would be easier to build an in-ground pool with fish in it. Even better if your home is on the water and you could recirculate with natural sea water. Wow, an in-ground reef tank you could dive in would be on my bucket list if I ever won the lottery. :snrkl:

Snid

Now we're gettin' crazy Steve!!! Ok, I'll go there. I'd do the opposite. I'd like to have an in reef built house. Yup, just build me a house that is half submerged in a reef with all the windows looking out into the reef. Now that's a bucket list!!! ;)

Steve L

Now we're gettin' crazy Steve!!! Ok, I'll go there. I'd do the opposite. I'd like to have an in reef built house. Yup, just build me a house that is half submerged in a reef with all the windows looking out into the reef. Now that's a bucket list!!! ;)

That would be the ultimate, although it better be some strong glass in times of high surf.

A few years ago I visited a house a friend was renting on Oahu and the center of the house was all koi ponds with glass walks over them and glass stairs. It would be fun to do it with a reef set-up but there wouldn't be enough light for corals since it's indoor.

kyle4201

Imcommenting on this just so I get notifications in the future when it comes a reality. first off I don't think water changes are a problem because tanks that big don't do 20 water changes. I've heard they've had some kind of water recycling situations or something. I wish I knew more, all I know is that I know enoughto know that I don't know enough. Lol I'm keeping an eye on this.

Oxylebius

There are several underwater hotels, hotel rooms & restaurants. Do an image search of them - some are spectacular! Several are in the Maldives.

Whoa, can you image being in a submerged hotel room sleeping and all a sudden it starts leaking? That takes freaking out over a leak to a whole new level!