New fish simply won't eat - day 6

ReefingFun

Hey all,

So I got my system up and running for about 6 months without any livestock except snails.
I purchased a juvenile Zebrasoma Fl. and a couple juvenile Baggai Cardinals.

The shop owner gave me Artemia (frozen) and life to feed them. I've been trying to do so for 6 days now, without much success.

They all go behind in a cave or so to hide the moment I stand in front of the aquarium and don't come out when I release food into the water either.

For frozen artemia I do the following:

1) Cut off a frozen piece.
2) Lay it in a cup with aquarium water.
3) Sift it through a net
4) Lay it in a new cup of aquarium water
5) Spray the artemia gently into the direction of the fish.

I also bought some Nori for the tang, but she ignores that completely when I try to hang it on a piece of rock.

Seems to me they are so shy that they just won't come out of hiding.

Is this normal for the first week or something is up? I'm a bit afraid they are underfed now tbh.

Cheers!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I'd try some variety of different frozen, flake or pellets to see if they are used to eating those things. Some times, it just takes a little more time to get accustomed to their new surroundings. I don't think my firefish ate for 2 weeks after I introduced it.

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary, too!

theplantman

you could also try foods infused with garlic, that will sometimes induce them to eat and is good for their immune systems.

ReefingFun

I tried to give frozen Spinach with some garlic pressed over it. The tang still is shy but at least he starts eating the pieces that float behind the rock and when I'm behind the corner he comes out to graze them off the rocks.
The cardinal didn't move at all yet though.

Thanks for the suggestions :)

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
You can grab a small piece of garlic and mash the begeezus out of it. Put as much of that juice and the bits into the tank before feeding. You'd be amazed at what garlic can do:)

Good luck, hope this helps!

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Fish will eat when they need to.......this game they play is funny and usually scares people but don't worry, they will come around. Seems like you doing the stabdard "enticing" procedures so just wait them out.

i like to use Larry's food..... LRS PREMIUM REEF FOODS

It's a good mix of nutrition and my fish love it.

Choff

My kole eye didn't eat for almost 10 days now he is the pig of the tank. They will eat.

Sent using Tapatalk 2