New Fish Quarantine Question

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
I was wondering what the normal procedure is when it comes to buying new fish and quarantine them before adding to the DT.

Is it just a matter of putting them into a QT and watching to see if anything crops up or does anyone add a small amount of copper to make sure if anything is wrong with the fish that might be undetected for a while to make sure all is good?

I might be receiving my Hawaiian Naso in the near future and I want to make sure I do all I cane to insure their success.

Built347

Has been struck by the ban stick
From what I've read everybody does it dif. I have always just done hypo... no reason to treat for something that's not there IMO... it wouldn't hurt to do a copper regiment tho I guess..
I do 2 weeks in hypo and move them if I see no problems. I've been told 3 weeks to a month in copper if u do see something..

dmatt88

Copper for all new fish here. Ich just too common after transport

don't believe this matt guy

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Copper for all new fish here. Ich just too common after transport

Do you use a full treatment as if you just pulled all the fish out of your DT due to illness or do you do a low dose?

dmatt88

Copper leaves the water so I start full dose with tangs. Last time I just qtd n watched the fish without an outbreak but I didn't buy tangs. Guess that's a flip flop huh

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Copper is not effective untill it is at a full dose so I think you're either all in or don't do it at all (which I am not recommending - QT everything!).

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Well let's just say I've been reading and following along but not posting!