New Build, looking at (2) AI Prime fixtures...

ScubaJ813

Hello! Long time stalker but I got out of reefing for the last 18 months... now have the ability to try it again. However, just reading over ReefBuilders... so much has already changed and there are some amazing new products out there.

New build is a CADLights 70G Artisan II (36x24x18)... nothing too crazy, some LPS and few SPS like birdsnest... the easier ones.

Because there are so many new products out there, I thought it would simplify my search by asking... The AI Prime is right now in the spot light though, a pair of them, wireless control, and good PAR values to boot... 500 PAR at 12" and only $400. What more can you really ask for?

Since my depth is only 18"... is there anything else better in a similar price range?

Thanks in advance!

sirrealism

I know a couple people using this light and they love them. I have been using AI lights for a long time and think they are as good or better then any other lights on the market. If I was relighting any of my systems I would be looking at these lights.

ScubaJ813

Thanks Sireal. Yeah, there isn't many "name brand" products that offer those kind of features at that price range.

DaveK

Just a word of warning. You get what you pay for in this area. Compared to the AI Hydra 52 and AI Hydra 26, the Prime puts out much less light. The Hydra 26 will give you about 1 1/2 times the light and the Hydra 52 about double the amount of light.

Note also that the price of these fixtures is roughly in proportion to the amount of light produced.

Consider carefully what your going to be keeping in the tank and what the lighting requirements will be. Upgrades to LED lighting can get expensive fast.

sirrealism

Dave is right. But at 18" I think it would be plenty. The guys I know who are using this light are going to be doing real world Par tests this week because this same thing dave said has come up on my local clubs forum. The thing is if you got a hydra you would really need 2 to have coverage then you would be running them at like 25% to keep from burning corals. I have been using AI nanos for 4 years over my 40b and I keep SPS in there and I cant run them at 100%. I have not looked closely at this light but I really like AI lights. I have 2 Sol blues over my 93 cube with all my clams in it.

ScubaJ813

Unfortunately, I did look into the Prime when everything read 500 PAR at 12"... apparently on 5/6, it started getting updated, AI concluded its only 260 PAR at 12" @ 50 Watts. That does worry me a bit.

They just shipped so I can return them with ease... and now looking at (2) Hydra 26's...

Please post the results from the test if you don't mind. I like the Prime's look and size... but worried about the power now.

sirrealism

Will do. It all comes down to what you are keeping. Most common SPS are good at 260 and lps are just as happy at 150. Of course this is just my opinion and experience. But I will post results.

sirrealism

Ok all I am going to say is WOW. What a scam. So my friend who has a solena cube "I think 34g" anyway He got one of these lights because the advertising said 500 Par at 12" Thats a big number for a small light. Well after getting a Par meter he found that the 500 Par is at 12" of air, Not water. So here are the real numbers light 12" above the water and the sensor 7-8" under water with the light at 100% the Par is 130. My friend is not happy. Now there is another guy in my reef club who has a 29 bio cube and is running one of these lights. His tank is SPS dominant and has been running this light for close to 3 months. His SPS are encrusting under this light so its hard to say. The numbers say its not putting out the amount of light we would want yet my club members tank is doing fantastic with it. I personally have seen this tank and for a 29 BC its super nice with plenty of high end SPS.
IMO I would return the lights and get something bigger. I hope this helps.
I am shocked how AI false advertised this light. I am starting to wonder if AI being bought out by Ecotech might be a bad thing for AI. I run 5 different AI LEDs and I love every one of them but they are all older models and lower end models. I have Sol blues and Nanos.

ScubaJ813

Thanks Sirreal. I really appreciate the follow up. It's exactly what I was worried about.

Ill hang on to them for a week or two while I research alternatives. I do really like the Prime features and aesthetics but the output really bothers me.

I know you cannot directly relate the ratio but at the Radeon XR15 puts out (estimated) 825 PAR at 12" (air) at 85w. Yet at 50watts, the Prime only puts out 260watts on the same test. Both using quality LEDs & similar optics, you would think the Prime would at least score in the 400 range. However, the Radeon being an estimated figure... maybe they are overstating that by quite a bit to. I didn't realize Ecotech acquired AI.

Worst case, I can see myself returning and buying (2) Hydra 26's... or maybe (3) Primes? No matter what, I know I have to spend more money as I intend to keep a few SPS... birdnest, monti caps, etc...

Now I need to just find something with similar features!

sirrealism

If it was me I think it would be 2, hydra 26 with 90w per should be plenty. Also the same price as 3 primes.

ScubaJ813

Current options I am looking at...

Option 1: (3) AI Primes + Mounting Arms - $660
(39 LEDs / 150 watts / 260 Peak Park each)
Pros: Wireless Control, Ease of use and installation, best looks. Most units, so best light spread.
Cons: $660 for probably 180-220 Par Peaks 6" below the surface. AI lied about performance, which kind of turns me off to them period. Limited on SPS success and choices.

Option 2: (2) Hydra26's + AI Director + Mounting Hardware - $800 - $900
(52 LEDs / 180 watts, 400 Peak Park each)
Pros: Power, wireless control.
Cons: Crap mounting solutions, basically hanging or DIY. Overkill power, and pricey. Worst looks. AI lied about performance, which kind of turns me off to them period.

Option 3: Nano Box Quad- $650 ($720 w/ Wireless Control)
(52 LEDs / ~180 watts, 700 Peak Park*)
Pros: Cost / Power ratio. Mounting Included. Nice aesthetics and color choices.
Cons: Wireless control sold separately (+$70). Small manufacturer, hard to find reviews/results with it.
*Peak park is 5" over a 15" deep tank. Assumed par is at 15" depth.

I am now leaning toward the Nano Box Quad but hesitant to throw $720 into something untested by third party...

Last edited: