New Baby RBTA

magicmann

HI

I have been looking to introduce a RBTA into my RSM250 for a long time but no longer have any marine shops on the Island so have had no luck. Yesterday a fellow marine keeper on the Island offered me a baby RBTA from her tank, her large RBTA has split.
I have read so much conflicting advice on whether to feed or not to feed I just thought I would ask your opinions.
The RBTA is about 1 inch across and seems to have settled in one spot (for now).

So should I attempt to feed it or just let it survive on light and anything it can pick up.

Thanks

Paul

Uncle99

Your (R)BTA, does not require any feeding at all. It will thrive well under moderate to strong lighting as it derives 65-80% of its nutrition from the photosynthesis process. Also needs perfect water and slow to moderate flows. As you seem to know, she will find her own spot.

To the question as can you feed it......sure.....not required.....but OK.

Feeding will result in the nem growing larger and at one point splitting.
Average softball size can be feed once or twice per month by either squirting thawed frozen brine or mysis shrimp gently towards the mouth or placing a 1/4" X 1/4" piece if raw shrimp on a long skewer and gently on the mouth till she can hold it by herself and nobody else can take it.

In your case the nem is quite small. I would give her 60 days to settle, then if you want to feed, go slow, their metabolism is very slow.

Hope that helps.