New and Confused, 2 part (lengthy) question? Lol

PolishXpress

I am currently in the process of acquiring a 150 gallon tank (48L x 24W x 30H) that is currently set up and operational complete with live rock and sand as well as some green chromis and a pink tail trigger, I will not be taking the fish though. The current system is running on a 3oo+ gallon protein skimmer and 2 hang on the back filters that take up almost the entire back rim of the tank, as well as adds an additional 5 1/2 inches of width to the system protruding out from the wall in my living room. I'm having the tank drilled in order to install a sump/refugium under the stand. How many gallons should I shoot for regarding sump/refugium size in order to optimally run the tank? I understand the "bigger is better" mentality. However, I am hoping to narrow down my options considering there are so many. Secondly the current light that I am also acquiring with the current set up is just a basic fluorescent light (I Believe) on a home made mounting kit. The tank is exceptionally clean and clear as far as a fish only tank with a small bioload, but there isn't really any corralline algae growth. My intent is to transform this tank into my own little slice of living room heaven complete with a plethora of vibrant colors and assorted fish and corals. That being said I am thoroughly overwhelmed with contradictory information and opinions regarding what light would be sufficient enough to accomplish such a beautiful centerpiece without the wife ending my life while I sleep for spending an insane amount of $ on ("a light for my stupid fishtank"). I understand that not having a high dollar light eliminates the possibility for certain types of corals, but I do believe that for now I should be able to accomplish a dazzling array of what I can accommodate. Sooooooo........ all that being said, what light/lighting should I get? 1 last thing, I will not be dangling a wired light fixture from my ceiling lol. Thank you in advance for anyone brave enough to read this entire post (book!) and still find enough time to help me out with some input. Happy New Year!

Talon33

Welcome to the forum

Great size tank to start with. How much live rock in the tank? I would definitely just remove those filters. They do not really serve to much of a purpose. Is there not a sump running on the system? Is the tank drilled? Curious because I'm wondering if the skimmer is a hang on the back version.

Sump size: usually just what you can fit. I have a 125 gallon(72inches long) but I only have a 30 gallon sump underneath. I would love to have a custom sump that was about 5 feet and only about 15 inches high. I do not like having a sump that only allows a few inches between stand and top of sump because it makes maintenance harder. Another thing you want to account for is when return pumps power is cut off and you want to make sure your sump can hold what goes through the overflow.

Lighting: you can browse. I picked up a t5 fixture from Craigslist for like 200 dollars so I was happy with that and should be able to keep most things under that. Your tank is deep so you want to take that into consideration. Something that would light a 55 gallon tank (4ft) may not work on your tank.
Light options are metal halides (seem to be best. They produce great color and shimmer) however run kinda hot so chilled maybe needed
T5: you can customize to the color you want and don't run as hot. But you have to replace bulbs kinda often which is kinda expensive
LED: good LEDs are expensive unless you do it yourself. But LEDs shouldn't go out and are more energy efficient. Also produce great shimmer. Look at kessils. With these you can even see the fishes shadow!
Power compacts: I do not know much about, hopefully someone else can chime in on these

kyle4201

WOW, I wish I had more time to comment on this and it wasn't so late. I want to definitely chime in so I would remember to talk about more stuff later. The refugium is just like you said the bigger the better. Not to mention as stated by the previous,
That you want to make sure there's enough room left over in the refugium to accommodate the overflow when you turn the pump off or lose power. I would definitely go with LED's. I just upgraded myself and I can't remember the name of them right now but I will when I look at this post in the morning. Welcome to reef sanctuary and may your journey be as great as mine. There is so much good information on here from so many good people it will be hard for you not to absorb enough to get going in the right direction. Without this site I would have quit the hobby 6 months ago.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome to RS!! There are a number of members here running tanks similar to the size you are getting and I'm sure some more of them will chime in with other options.

PolishXpress

Thanks talon, kyle, and goma. I'm totally stoked about diving into the hobby I've contemplated on for years now. That being said I'd absolutely love to minimize the headache associated with brash decisions ahead of time by utilizing the vast wealth of knowledge and previous mistakes of other reef sanctuary hobbyists. Keep em coming guys!

forestal

Welcome - I used to have halides over my 125 and found t5's fairly equivalent and half the heat and electricity. I now have have LEDs and they are even less heat/ electric cost.
When new starting with a FOWLR fish only with live rock is a great way to get the hang of the tank and read about what types of coral you would want to add after the tank is stable this gives you time to then pick what type of lighting you want - as a rule many soft corals need less light as do some deep water sps/lps . The big lights are better at penetrating deep water but if you just want some zoanthids and mushrooms you may not need a bunch of light and do ok with fluorescents .
Rule to follow with salt water plan and patience - look forward to watching your system develop

PolishXpress

Thanks for the input forestal. I believe I'm going to snag one of those lumentek pro 240's that Rick at Reef Radiance suggested for my tanks specs. I've been researching a ton and have yet to find one valid argument that would change my mind so far. Talon, to answer your question it has around 110lbs of live rock currently. I def plan on adding more. How much more do you think I should go with? Also, it currently has 4 plexiglass panels on top with the dividers to hold them up. Is it recommended to have a glass top with LED's? Or should I rig up a screen style top to allow for greater gas exchange as well as light penetration and disbursement . I'm also concerned about the frame inhibiting maximum light distribution. Any takers........?????

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
The reef radiance fixtures were what I was going to suggest. They will certainly do the job.

I had the same tank last year and I can tell you that with a 30" deep tank you'll want to be sure to get enough light to the substrate. Those LED's will do the trick.

As far as the tops for the tank....I'd ditch them. They really won't help you in any way that will be beneficial to the health of the tank.

If you are worried about jumpers, you can make a mesh top for the tank that will do the trick without sacrificing any light or gas exchange.

JJB103

Welcome to RS. I have the exact same tank and have delt with lots of issues with the depth including lighting and having to dive in to get to the bottom. It's really not as bad as l thought. I love the deep tank. It allows me to have tons of different coral options. I built my own LED light for under $300. It's not beautiful, but it's in a fish room, so I didn't care. Check out my thread
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/reef-chronicles/84716-starts-150g-wall.html I will try and give any advice I can about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Great advise ^

JJB103

The reef radiance fixtures were what I was going to suggest. They will certainly do the job.

I had the same tank last year and I can tell you that with a 30" deep tank you'll want to be sure to get enough light to the substrate. Those LED's will do the trick.

I've heard a lot of good about the reef radiance lights. Can't beat their price either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PolishXpress

Really appreciate the input guys. I normally hate social media (facebook, twitter, etc.) however I can def already see that this place might just keep me from opening my mouth when contemplating harping on social media moving forward lol. based off of input, and plenty of research, I believe I am going to go with the Pro 240. I will be initiating the lofty undertaking of transporting my tank from its former owner next weekend. I will post pictures along the way. As well as continue picking everyone's willing brains over the variables in my head that lull me to bed at night. Thanks again, and JJB way to go out and get some! In wall set up is too sweet!

Mr.Reeefer

Hi mate and welcome to RS...

I have maxspect LEDs, I have to complaints about them......not sure if anyone has mentioned it as I have glanced over the conversations but allot of people use Steve's LEDs on here....

PolishXpress

Steve's LED's? Not tracking on what you meant. Correct me if I'm wrong but maxspect has the line with the razr right? Does some guy named steve sell them at a discount rate or something?

Mr.Reeefer

Below is the link to Steve's LEDs, I am not to sure about them, it is something I will be looking into, when I have been reading over people's chronicle quite a few use Steve's LEDs and from what I have read there a good product....
http://shop.stevesleds.com

Yes I have the maxspect razor and Steve does not sell this, he has his own product....

You can look into the "equiptment" part of the forum start a thread about LEDs, other reefers can give you there opinion about there products, cost etc.

Good luck....

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Hi Polish :wave:
Just wanted to say :welcomera WELCOME to Reef Sanctuary :crowd:
And just throw in MY TWO CENTS:
There is nothing CHEAP about the SW hobby so ya better just make use of the lying line used by another member here :LOL: and say "it was just $20." and hope she believes you. :D:laughroll