New 40B setup thoughts?

Slammed01

So I got the green light from the fiancée, she mentioned she wish we could set one up now and have out of the way so I suggested the entry way nook and she said that works [emoji1307][emoji1303] figure best for now as the littles dint gave access to that area. prob a clown, crab and goby tank along with maybe a flame or another fish later. Not heavily stocked, add some coral drags (polyps and easy things like I had before)

I've had salt for 15 years, prob more. Gave it up (54 RR corner, pro flex sump) when my daughter was born, now she's 2-1/2 and loves fish with our 9 mo old son. I've had 29, 46 bow, 75, 90 along with a 50 and 55 FW in HS.
07784a1705014a1312bea476fb4e61d1.jpg

I saw dr foster and smith has $50 gift card if I spend $125 so that would the the aquatic fundamentals stand purchase haha.

Plan now, let me know any thoughts :

Aquaclear 70 for surface agitation and options $50

Live/dry sand mix

2-koralia 550 Powerheads $40

Eheim heater 125/150? Stays warm here in northern cali. Ideally run 2-125s $30

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light $139

Bucket O' salt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

I assume this is all for a 40 gal breeder tank.

I would consider a single Aquaclear 70 to be a bit small when used in SW. I recommend you get two of them. That way you can alternate cleaning them and always maintain your bacteria base in one of them. However this is not critical in a SW reef, since you have all that live rock.

I would also recommend a skimmer. That can really remove a lot of unwanted waste from a tank.

The powerheads and heater are good choices.

The Current marine lighting is only good for a FO or FOWLR tank. It's only got about 36w of light from the 36" fixture, which is not nearly enough for corals. This is ok as long as you know this going in. If money were no object I'd say get a pair of AI Hydra 26 HD's this would give you about 170w of led lighting, or about 5x what you'll get out of the Current fixture. Of course you don't get something for nothing. The 36" current USA Orbit Marine 36" fixture costs about $180 verses about $700 for a pair of the AI Hydras.

Lighting is going to often be a compromise between what you want and what you can afford to spend. There are other options out there you could consider if you want corals at some point.

You'll also need some kind of dry base rock or live rock for the tank.

While we are at it don't forget quality test kits and a refractometer.

Pat24601

So I got the green light from the fiancée, she mentioned she wish we could set one up now and have out of the way so I suggested the entry way nook and she said that works [emoji1307][emoji1303] figure best for now as the littles dint gave access to that area. prob a clown, crab and goby tank along with maybe a flame or another fish later. Not heavily stocked, add some coral drags (polyps and easy things like I had before)

I've had salt for 15 years, prob more. Gave it up (54 RR corner, pro flex sump) when my daughter was born, now she's 2-1/2 and loves fish with our 9 mo old son. I've had 29, 46 bow, 75, 90 along with a 50 and 55 FW in HS.
07784a1705014a1312bea476fb4e61d1.jpg

I saw dr foster and smith has $50 gift card if I spend $125 so that would the the aquatic fundamentals stand purchase haha.

Plan now, let me know any thoughts :

Aquaclear 70 for surface agitation and options $50

Live/dry sand mix

2-koralia 550 Powerheads $40

Eheim heater 125/150? Stays warm here in northern cali. Ideally run 2-125s $30

Current USA Orbit Marine Aquarium LED Light $139

Bucket O' salt

I can't help much wth equipment, but just wanted to say I'm glad to see another person doing tanks in part for their kid! My twin boys are 3 and they really love my tanks. It's really the main reason I do it.

Slammed01

Thanks! I've always had tanks but she's really into it and easier than a hamster or another dog [emoji23]. Crunching #s, may end up doing fresh for a bit then convert and move into living room when older.

Pat24601

Thanks! I've always had tanks but she's really into it and easier than a hamster or another dog [emoji23]. Crunching #s, may end up doing fresh for a bit then convert and move into living room when older.

I hear ya on that. So long as it's fish, it's all good. :)

DaveK

When you see the larger model on sale for the same price as the smaller one, it's best to contact the vendor and check the price, or just order it and make sure you use a credit card so you can dispute the transaction if they fail to deliver.

Slammed01

Don't shoot me! Lol So I may just get this 29 for $40 tomorrow, resell the tank and buy a new 29 at the next petco sale. What's a good light for 29 for polyps? Prob do a simple nemo/shrimp tank for kiddos.
d0f084c88eea08be6e2b7f02436e486f.jpg

Uncle99

VISPARSPECTRA 165w LED on Amazon.
Can't beat the price and the quality.
Timing and light output adjustable so you can do anything from fish only to softies to SPS to clams. Simply the best light I have purchased to date
Corals growing fast, clam is super happy!